Archinect
anchor

Learning AutoCAD...

bdonn

Debating whether I should take a few night classes or just buy a manual and do it myself? How much do I need to know in order to get my foot in the door as a student architect? Want to get some experience before grad school. Thanks.

Mar 15, 05 9:19 pm
Ms Beary

I don't think you need any experience in CAD to be a student. But it doesn't hurt I guess. If you have a computer with the software to use, just teach yourself.

Mar 15, 05 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
bdonn

Sorry. To clarify, I didn't meant in order to be a student of architecture. I am graduating next year with a pre-professional degree in architecture and I was asking in reference to a job.

Mar 15, 05 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

take the class and learn it right.

Mar 15, 05 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
LBG

sometimes internships at firms will teach it to you.

Mar 15, 05 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

I would say do whatever you can to learn the basic commands, and also how to setup drawings correctly. I think a lot of students understand how to draw something in the model space, but if someone were to ask for a set of plans on a ANSI Oversized D paper with 1/4th scale, many people wouldn't know how to do it correctly. Also, learn the basic 3D commands and tools. It is very easy once you get the hang out it.

Mar 15, 05 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
psymian

personally, i took a certification course at a community college before grad school ... it's saved me a lot of time learning the basics inorder to put together projects in academia. also, it's given me a leg up finding internships/employment ... CAD knowledge is nice for preliminary design work in academia, but it doesn't mean much to a prospective employer if you've never put together a set of consturction drawings. Furthermore, i've found CAD to be a crutch and rather limiting in terms of my own design development ... you gotta be able to draw for starters THEN be able to quickly reproduce it for digital presentation.

Mar 16, 05 3:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: