Archinect
anchor

GQ 25 buildings list

just curious if anyone saw the '25 buildings every man should know' (or something like that) section in the March GQ.

They did a pretty good job of picking buildings, but I thought its very existence was sort of interesting.

Mar 13, 05 1:01 am
siggers

That is strange, I bet one of their writers/editors studied architecture for a year and gave it up, but wishes he/she hadn't

Mar 13, 05 5:30 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

Could you list the buildings? Or post a link?

Mar 13, 05 6:14 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

I'd be interested in seeing people's guesses as to what the 25 or perhaps top 10 buildings one should know are.

Mar 13, 05 6:15 am  · 
 · 
siggers

The 'only' two Guggenheims, Tate Modern, Jewish museum, maybe St Mary's Axe, or at least something from Foster, Empire State, Louvre, Pompidou, Graz Kunsthaus

hmmm, interesting question, I actually find it quite hard to come up with likely contenders...

Mar 13, 05 6:24 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

articles like this are so ridiculous. 25(your product/object/person)that every man should know.

Mar 13, 05 10:01 am  · 
 · 
siggers

true, but they're kind of fun too, sometimes... celebrity worship is bollox however

Mar 13, 05 10:25 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

architects reading gq...great!!! hahahaha

Mar 13, 05 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
chico

1. Oak Alley Plantation (Gilbert Joseph Pile)
2. University of Virginia (Thomas Jefferson)
3. The Rookery (Daniel Burnham and John Root)
4. Gamble House (Charles & Henry Greene)
5. Robie House (Frank Lloyd Wright)
6. First Church of Christ Scientist (Bernard Maybeck)
7. Schindler House (Rudolph Schindler)
8. Lovell Health House (Richard Neutra)
9. Philadelphia Saving Fund Society (George Howe & William Lescaze)
10. Gropius House (Walter Gropius)
11. Eames House (Charles & Ray Eames)
12. Fallingwater (Frank Lloyd Wright)
13. Farnsworth House (Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe)
14. Lever House (SOM)
15. Eden Roc Hotel (Morris Lapidus)
16. Case Study House #22 (Pierre Koenig)
17. TWA Terminal (Eero Saarinen)
18. Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts (Le Corbusier)
19. Salk Institute (Louis Kahn)
20. Whitney Museum of American Art (Marcel Breuer)
21. Douglas House (Richard Meier)
22. Thorncrown Chapel (Fay Jones)
23. Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts (Tadao Ando)
24. Walt Disney Concert Hall (Frank Gehry)
25. Seattle Public Library (Rem Koolhaas & Joshua Ramus)

Mar 13, 05 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

is that your list or gq's? chico?

Mar 13, 05 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
chico

gq's via link

Mar 13, 05 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yes but what are the 25 things a guy must know to please his lady???

Mar 13, 05 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

i think thats a pretty good list for GQ... i wonder what cosmo would want the ladies to know?

Mar 13, 05 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i havent heard of any of these buildings. where is trump tower??? what about las vegas and stonehenge. who is richard neutral? i like disneys magic castle.

Mar 13, 05 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

madianito...

i have to say that (except the men's fashion, hair section bullshit) some articles are pretty well written...

Mar 13, 05 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

Not a bad list, missed out s alot of modern stuff though...

Mar 14, 05 7:50 am  · 
 · 
db

hmmm, the list is all American. Some notable omissions (even from an American list): Guggenheim NY, IIT Campus, Pei's National Gallery, Phoenix Central Library, and others I'm sure.

(kinda funny too that the Seattle Library is listed as Koolhaas/Ramus instead of OMA...)

Mar 14, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, I was actually pretty impressed with their selection. They also dropped references to some other works by the architects (talked about Dulles in the blurb on TWA terminal), which boosted the list to 30 or so. My only real beef was with the Whitney, but I guess I can see their point.

Anyway, I thought that it was interesting to see a pop connection between architecture and 'style.' This is the sort of thing that actually promotes our profession's value.

Mar 14, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Center for Ants

No Sullivan either or HH Richardson... very lacking in the 19th century era. No Gaudi? Some of the more recent things... I don't think they should have those. If they do, then they need stuff by Morphosis, Calatrava, etc. And what about anything Italian, pre-19th century? Classical? Tsk. No sense of history. Would've liked Barcelona Pavilion... maybe Johnson, glass house? Hm...

But I guess it IS GQ... better than anything Arch Digest would've done.

Mar 14, 05 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
A

Is it just me or are there a lot of houses on that list? I'm also surprised at a list that really doesn't address the modern skyscraper, something that is more American than GQ itself. Sullivan deserves that list. Why pick Mies' Farnsworth house over the Seagram building? I can see Ghery getting a building but think the Seattle Library is a bit new to make the top 25 list. What about landscape design...the mall in Washington or Central Park?

Mar 14, 05 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

vado retro,

but you have to admit, if GQ published a "25 contortionist maneuvers every man should know in the bedroom," that would be a list worth reading.

Mar 14, 05 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i think it is sort of refreshing to see such a list in a men's magazine that is loaded with homes, and not riddled with skyscrapers.

Mar 14, 05 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
db

agree with the no Sullivan/Richardson comments --
the Wainwright Building should be on there --
(still pretty awesome even today)
and Seagram instead of Lever House for sure.

Mar 14, 05 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thazz in next months issue manteno...stay tuned

Mar 14, 05 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
A

Do you think this list might perhaps push GQ's circulation up to perhaps 100,000?? Normally I'd never read such a waste of paper magazine but now I'm intrigued as to why they picked what they did.

At the airport newsstand this Friday it will be hard to pass up on the Maxim type magazine with their sultry looking exotic babes adorned within their glossy pages - this might just be something that would prompt me to dust off the archaic GQ magazine.

Mar 14, 05 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

As to the missing skyscrapers thing - i have it on good authority they were trying to avoid the whole phallus representational esotera. GQ is very concerned about protecting their new movement into the architectural critique genre and did not want to make the same mistake that the Chicago Times did at the turn of the century with all that “erecting” language.

Mar 14, 05 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

u can go online to gq and take their architecture101 survey course- buildings men must know to impress their dates.

Mar 14, 05 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
bdonn

I try and avoid talking about buildings on dates. I know I'll end up just rambling on and coming across as the total architecture geek that I am.

Mar 15, 05 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

sounds like a very US slanted list - and pro-modern movement

was this the American GQ?

Mar 16, 05 11:57 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

jam arch...
the list is the top 25 buildings IN AMERICA...
if you go to the website i think it mentions that in the title..
i think a lot of people failed to see that.

would've liked to have seen the dorm at MIT by Aalto
on that list as well...

Mar 16, 05 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: