Archinect
anchor

Can we please exile everyone who uses the phrase "by design"?

tagalong

Personal rant, but I'm sick of seeing this phrase "(insert whatever the hell you want that 99% of the time has nothing to do with real design) by design".

Aug 5, 11 12:14 pm

I saw this car rear ended with a license plate BY DESIGN 

Aug 5, 11 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Design By Design was going to be one archinecter's pretend firm name, as I recall.

Aug 5, 11 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

It was a cold and stormy night by design.

Aug 5, 11 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

you can throw 'social media' onto that pile. along with 'ironically'. and 'design thinking'. and "+1".

god, this could get interesting by 5:00EST after everyone's started beerthirty... 

Aug 5, 11 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

add..."this economic climate" to the list....it's a fucking global depression!

Aug 5, 11 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
MixmasterFestus

"This economic climate" is a great game to play at beer-thirty, if you like your drinking fast.  Turn on the news and drink whenever someone says it (double points if it's on a commercial selling something!)

Aug 5, 11 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

The current economic climate is by design.

Aug 5, 11 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
MixmasterFestus

Oh!  Anytime anyone refers to anything as 'x two-point-oh' or 'x-point-anything'.  It's like the aughts/tweens version of 'cyber-x'. 

Aug 5, 11 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

"drill down," "off-line" and "punch it up" --- as in, "Great suggestion, Chip, let's drill down into it and assess the logistics of implementation."  "Wait, what's that?"  "Ah yes, well that is true, Wendell, but I think we can punch it up and it will be fine.  No I do understand.  Why don't we just have that conversation off-line when this session is over."

Aug 5, 11 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

It's 5:06!  But I can't have beer-thirty yet because I have to drive down to a gallery opening.

Aug 5, 11 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

lately i have been noticing the overuse of the word "agency", often cutting the flow of the meaning and letting the sentence float in the air, seemingly intelligent, civil and political, but really not. i think this usually happens by design.

Aug 5, 11 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Joe Soda

"going forward" "metrics" "on the ground"  NPR vocabulary.

Aug 7, 11 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
dia

<p>
I&#39;m not one for linguistic pet peeves, bit I totally agree with the OP - the &#39;x by design&#39; is my most hated phrase. I think I talked about this on the old firm names thread. To me, &#39;architecture by design&#39; is akin to saying &#39; meal by cooking&#39;.</p>
<p>
I want to exile/excommunicate/shoot anyone who uses that phrase, particularly as a business name.</p>
<p>
The other one that I am&nbsp;encountering&nbsp;(working again with bankers and financiers) is &#39;wash it&#39;s face&#39; e.g. in order for a project to be worth doing, it has to pay for itself.</p>

Aug 7, 11 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
dia

woops:

I'm not one for linguistic pet peeves, bit I totally agree with the OP - the 'x by design' is my most hated phrase. I think I talked about this on the old firm names thread. To me, 'architecture by design' is akin to saying 'meal by cooking'

I want to exile/excommunicate/shoot anyone who uses that phrase, particularly as a business name.

The other one that I am encountering (working again with bankers and financiers) is 'wash it's face' e.g. in order for a project to be worth doing, it has to pay for itself.

Aug 7, 11 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Ryan002

Going forward in the current economic climate, design thinking needs to drill down, tangentially identifying metrics that, on the ground, will ironically punch it up, establishing an agency that will wash its own face by design.

Aug 7, 11 10:43 pm  · 
 · 

Is that deployed in interstitial territory and mutated by computational procedures defying indexation? That suggests ontological heterogenous multiplicity otherwise activated.

Aug 7, 11 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
austarch

Very nice Orhan, i can tell you teach at university! Time to resurrect this (I printed it onto a sheet of fridge magnet material and cut it up - it lives on my fridge at home, I think only I find it entertaining...)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ho8vY4YXANI/R9VjouwW-AI/AAAAAAAAAIo/29ImVSfoXqw/s1600/DIYAD.jpg

Aug 10, 11 1:53 am  · 
 · 
go do it

how about "at the end of the day"

i stop listening after that

Aug 10, 11 5:32 am  · 
 · 
austarch

I stop people saying 'at the end of the day' by replying 'the sun goes down' every single time. Incredibly annoying and they stop doing it pretty soon :)

Aug 11, 11 2:44 am  · 
 · 
Ryan002

That should be "the sun ALSO goes down", thus making an indirect reference to Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises and it's emphasis on continual (meaningless) repetition. Assuming they don't get the reference, they might interpret it to suggest that their use of the phrase is conventional and devoid of referential significance. 

It's response by design. 

Aug 11, 11 4:23 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I thought this was architectural quackery:

Aug 11, 11 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

"giant duck, by design"

Aug 11, 11 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

longaberger_basket_building.jpg

Aug 11, 11 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: