Archinect
anchor

importing big .eps files to photoshop takes forever

jaja

When I export an autocad drawing into photoshop by converting it first to an .eps file it takes forever. A 3 Mb autocad (.eps) drawing of 300 dpi, takes about 15 minutes just to open in photoshop if I'm lucky and the computer doesn't jam. Isn't there a faster or easier way to import .eps files into photoshop? Would, making the file size smaller help?

Mar 10, 05 7:39 pm
pencrush

Making the file size smaller will make it faster, but what are you trying to do with the file? Can you print to a pdf? If you are outputing from photoshop, this should cut down on your file size, and give you comparable quality. It will also maintain your lineweights.

Mar 10, 05 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
e

why don't you just bring it into illustrator? it will print better and the file size, in the end, will be smaller.

Mar 10, 05 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

3 mb for an eps file is actually a bit much

you could make it into a pdf file...strangely for me the line thicknesses work best with pdf, also are quicker to import

but as e suggests, you might be better off with illustrator

Mar 10, 05 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

I think when you export and .eps from autocad, it makes it into a raster file, that's probably the reason why the file size is so large.. Taking it into illustrator is an option, but you'll have a lineweight issue (most likely).

You can select lines by color in illustrator and assign lineweights that way, however..

Mar 10, 05 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
jaja

When I want to ‘fix up’ an autocad drawing like ad graphics (color, textures, people) I export it as .eps into photoshop. I realize that it doesn’t really make any difference if I plot to .eps or pdf so therefore I always plot to .eps. Problems usually occur when the files is bigger than 1 MB. Loading to Photoshop takes very long even though I put in some extra memory. Reducing the amount of dpi reduce also the loading time but reduces the quality as well so that is not really an option. I don’t really have any problems once it’s loaded. Just the loading time takes extremely long and jams if the memory is exceeded.

Mar 10, 05 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

If it doesn't make any difference if you plot to pdf or eps, do a pdf, and it will open quicker, most definitely. Is there some reason you want to export a eps file?

Mar 10, 05 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
jaja

pencrush...no, not really. I just followed the tutorial sometime ago where eps is recommended.

http://www.cadtutor.net/acad/acad2ki/atop/atop.html

Mar 10, 05 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

jaja

where in the tutorial do they advise against a pdf???

we are talking from experience here...a pdf is as good, maybe better for simplicity reasons. just try making a pdf (you will need to have the full version of acrobat installed btw)

out of curiosity, what type of computer system are you using - processor speed, ram, etc

Mar 10, 05 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

.eps and .pdf both have the same upside- the ability to export from vector programs such as autocad and import into either another vector program such as illustrator or a raster program such as photoshop. .eps files take a little longer to rasterize that .pdf files do, and the rate of rasterization physically depends (primarily) on the amount of Random Access Memory available for use at the time on your computer. So, given these facts, I see three options...

1. Use Illustrator instead of photoshop, so that your file does not have to undergo rasterization, so it takes less time, and you get a better quality image.

2. Use .pdf instead of .eps, and reduce conversion time a bit no matter what program you bring it into.

3. Get yourself some more RAM- don't dare use another program while you are rasterizing, and if it's still painful to you, go out and buy another stick or two of it.

Mar 10, 05 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
wyoming81

Lots of cheap PDF plot programs out there that will save you money if wouldn't utilize acrobat often. I personally use PDF995 in our office although I would strongly recommend getting acrobat if you are in an office for the shear communication benefits of pdf files.

Mar 10, 05 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
jaja

I tried plotting a ground plan dwg to eps and pdf. There was indeed a huge difference in file size; the eps was about 3 MB while the pdf was only 60 kb. Also the loading time takes less than a minute. I can even crank the file up to 600 dpi without any problems.

My computer is not new, but it should be powerful enough for most graphic software.
Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Speed : 2.81GHz
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 134MHz (536MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 167MHz (334MHz data rate)

Mar 11, 05 4:49 am  · 
 · 
Jordan Lloyd

Why use EPS in the first place? I tend to just export a DXF file into Illustrator and then rasterize in photoshop at 300 DPI. My experiences with EPS files have been aggravating to say the least. Long times opening files (even those about 500k) and a jagged edge everytime.

Mar 11, 05 8:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: