Archinect
anchor

Making edges visible

Pete

How do you make edges visible in 3ds max when you render? Is it also possible to create sections out of a model in max and export to autocad?

Mar 9, 05 3:13 pm
French

you can composite in phtoshop a rendering of your model with the ink'n paint 'layer set to multiply or overlay, stuff like that) and you can create section of your model with the spline object "section".

Mar 9, 05 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

use the "edges" modifier. set your edges object as a black material. then select your model and make it a 100% white material. this will give you a clean hidden line 'outline' type of drawing.

Mar 9, 05 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

Not sure whether you want the surfaces and the edges. I ued to just copy all the objects that needed edges and then switch one set to wireframe and give it a colour. I think you can either give them a pixel dimension or an actual width depending on whether you want the lines to adhere to perspective rules. I haven't used it in a while so i could be wrong.

As for the sections...why not just cut the section in autoCAD? doesn't it even do live sectional models?

Mar 10, 05 8:47 am  · 
 · 
trace™

you'll need a plugin, like Illustrate, to export vector lines (to bring into acad).
Final Toon (part of Final Render) can also do this, as well as export Flash and other goodies.

Max just wasn't made for things like this, unfortunately. I like FormZ for this type of thing.

Mar 10, 05 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Pete

This is what I mean: http://www.archinect.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=248

Mar 10, 05 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
French

could be a sketchup rendering, but I guess Final toon would be the best bet to try to do soomething equivalent.

Mar 10, 05 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
natnatG

form z has a redering option that looks just like that

Mar 10, 05 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

you could do that with FormZ. Looks like sketchup or FormZ with Shaded Surface rendering (defaults to including a wireframe, I believe).

Mar 10, 05 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Jrocc

Revit models display like that. I would guess its a parametric program you can see the landings blank on the spiral stair. As for creating a section in Max/Vis make the materials doublesided with the interior mat a white or somehting that will show up and adjust the near clip to cut your section and the far clip to make sure you see deep enough into the model. You can animate the view and create a moving section thought he building too. Have fun.

Mar 10, 05 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: