Archinect
anchor

green roof membranes

weAREtheSTONES

does anyone know of a roof membrane that is eviornmentally concious? I am looking to build a project entirely out of green materials and a RUBBER roof membrane is really the only one i can find. does rubber really come from a rubber tree? do you think this would be green enough? thanks in advance

Mar 9, 05 2:37 pm
Ddot

by whose standards do you mean 'green enough'? and what do you mean by green materials? some roof membranes marketed as contributing to a building's 'green-ness' provide other measurable benefits, but aren't always exactly environmentally friendly in their manufacturing process.

Not for a flat roof, but would a metal roof made from recycled materials be an option?
or:
re-used slate?
terra cotta tile?
copper?
thatched roof?
or a real-live honest-to-goodness green roof, with a layer of soil, then planted with sedum?

Mar 9, 05 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

by green i mean more enviornmental than epdm

i used a shipping container as a conditioned space, using the corugated metal roof as the ceiling w/ tapered inso and a (GREEN)membrane-

raised 3" on top of that were using 2x8 to frame a platform for the soil roof. no plywood on top of the joists, just green tek soil trays that filter the rain on to the (GREEN)membrane, then the membrane sheds the rain off the container to another garden below

(interior)fir it out - inso - drywall interior - interior is sealed tighter than a virgin. (no condensation)

i didnt think of another material like a recycled metal roof---good idea!

i also just looked at this other product called enviornmenal liquid membrane system(ELMS) this is a soy based clear coat that is apllied to metal and concrete for waterprofing. but this doesnt seem like enough protection from leaks

Mar 9, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

sounds like a fun project.

a roof/membrane intended to shed water like you describe could be detailed very sculpturally out of a metallic material - gutter, scupper, or however you collect the runoff.

the ELMS sounds good, but it probably isn't intended to be a gap filler.

Mar 9, 05 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Bula

This TPO is a good low slope roof (with parapet/ screen) option.

Mar 9, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

again thanks for the idea about a metalic material...i just got off the phone w/ a metal wall and roof manufacture that has an @$$ load of scraps in the back of his shop.

Mar 9, 05 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
e909

sod roof?

Mar 10, 05 6:18 am  · 
 · 
e909
raised 3" on top of that were using 2x8 to frame a platform for the soil roof. no plywood on top of the joists, just green tek soil trays that filter the rain on to the (GREEN)membrane, then the membrane sheds the rain off the container to another garden below

just wondering, tying to visualize your decription.
what happens with the weight of the sod and support, where it rests on the membrane layer? to keep the sod and support from lifting in terrible wind, don't you need to make attachment holes thru the membrane?

Mar 10, 05 6:28 am  · 
 · 
e909

what about rot in those old sod roof prairie houses? Aerial termites?

(a little googling may be due...)

I think one advantage of the prairie sod was the strength of the root fibers.

Mar 10, 05 6:39 am  · 
 · 
buzz

environment is spelled liked this...(i think so anyway), the membranes used in the trades for green roofs are PVC, the very nastiest of products, like 40%plus chlorine. so very long lasting, but no way to recycle into anything....I think in your project you could use metal by making more pitch in the roof 1 or 2 in 12 would probably work for a project the size of a container.the trays would not need to be attached to the roof, as long as the guttering was high enough to and strong enough to hold back the trays. see www.greenroofplants.com for plant and some design info, they have test facilties with metal roofs....

Apr 1, 05 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Fish

try a thatch roof

Apr 1, 05 9:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: