Archinect
anchor

academic gossip: Lebbeus Woods

this is trivial i know...

-So I am in the aiport(detroit!) , on the phone with an art student friend of mine, who went to some panel discussion in nyc re: the Gates ; she tells me that Lebbeus Woods and Toshiko Mori were on the panel, that woods gets yelled at from the audience about not having built anything, than he gets all flustered and that Max Protetch stands up for him, and then Toshiko mori up next , very-un-diplomatically rattles off a list of her projects, making Woods and Protetch snicker and nod....
Question : was anyone on the forum at this discussion, and was this indeed the case?
and i think we should start a gossip section - face it , everyone loves the g-smack.

Feb 28, 05 11:22 pm
TED

wasnt there

but i think protetch is a dick-head, completely full of himself and is a spoiled groupie. and that hair!! my toilet bowl scrubber is more aesteticly pleasing to me, but i guess it doesnt say ''hey look at me, me, me..... i'm a clown!!!'

Mar 1, 05 12:00 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

who cares if LEB hasn't built anything... his drawings are fucking AMAZING.

Mar 1, 05 9:18 am  · 
 · 
herbst

Actually, I believe he has built some things on his own (perhaps just not as theory-infused as his renderings), and also that he was involved in the design of the Ford Foundation building while he was at Roche & Dinkeloo.

I don't have any reason to question his technical credentials.

Mar 1, 05 10:13 am  · 
 · 
pencrush

I agree with 3ifs who cares is he hasn't built anything? I think his work is extremely impressive (I think most would agree,) and that the field is improved by his contributions both conceptually and graphically. To me, Lebbeus Woods is the definition of a "paper architect." He doesn't need to build anything. I think if he had built more, it would detract from his reputation. I think a lot of Eisenman's buildings are much better on paper than in built form... some work cannot/is not ready to be built.

Mar 1, 05 11:41 am  · 
 · 
e

i'm fine with him being a paper arch. we need people like him to push our understanding of architecture.

Mar 1, 05 11:47 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i want someone to post a picture of protech!

Mar 1, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Yeah I too would like to see what protech looks like and if indeed he resembles a toilet bowl scrubber, or a less aesthetically pleasing one.

As for LEB, yes I agree he is indeed a fantastic paper architect that has pushed the boundaries (in his own way) for this profession. Furthermore, I have actually seen some of his projects actually built. Small scale mind you (installations) yet they are built elements that embody his thoughts. So yeah he has BUILT!

Cheers

Mar 1, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: