Archinect
anchor

Restrictions on Wooden Screen Facades in NYC - Fire Code?

Hello Archinecters,

I was wondering if anyone has any information on the restrictions of wooden screens in New York City due to fire codes? I remember maybe 10 years ago one of my coworkers when I was an intern mentioned that New York City buildings do not allow wooden screens because of combustibility. And then another one said, "Yes, you can do them...they just need to be fireproofed."

And after walking around New York for many years and taking note of facades, I realize that I do not remember any notable buildings with any wooden screens on them. 

Does anyone have information on the restrictions of wooden screen facades due to fire code? The percentages of screenage, etc?

Oct 21, 24 4:56 am

This website might be able to help you answer your own question https://www.nyc.gov/site/build...

Oct 21, 24 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
bennyc

Google nyc technical bulletin 2022-013 and some bullet points below for combustible materials

• No more than 10% of the exterior wall surface area on any given story, and not permitted where the fire separation is less than 5 ft.
  • No more than 40 ft above grade.
  • Fire-retardant treated (FRT) wood (complying with Section 2303.2) can be installed up to 60 ft above grade, where fire separation is 5 ft.
  • Not permitted at or adjacent to exterior balconies.
  • Not permitted at Type IV construction using cross-laminated timber (CLT) or structural composite lumber (SCL)

Oct 21, 24 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: