Archinect
anchor

M Arch Portfolio Critique

swolber

Hello,

I will be applying to M Arch grad programs for Fall 2025.

I do not have a background in arch or design.  My bachelor's is in business.

I am seeking advice on the portfolio linked below that I have worked on.  

Any time and advice will be greatly appreciated.

https://issuu.com/scottwolber/...

Oct 1, 24 3:32 pm
eeayeeayo

For somebody without an architecture or design background the admissions committees are usually looking mostly for evidence of critical thinking and design process/iterative creation.  They're usually not looking for such literal and repetitive attempts at residential architecture. You're generally missing much evidence of your thought process and creative journey, and that's usually more important to the admissions people than the end products.

Do you have any other creative work of any sort? Sketches, even diagrams you might have developed during your business studies, anything you've ever constructed (whether furniture, garden shed, or sculpture)?  Anything that would show some working design process?  More variety in project types and media would help you.

I wouldn't keep much of your current content:  it's too long overall, and the projects are too similar. Perhaps pick two of the houses, and scrap all the rest. Instead of devoting so much text to what the assignment was, and to things about the site that are pretty obvious from the images, write a few sentences about your process and investigations in getting to that solution, and include sketches, preliminary models or drawings, etc. that was part of that process. Cutting the page count down by about half would be best, though some programs have even lower page count limits. Things to cut:  the photography isn't great: I'd suggest picking your two favorites and culling the rest.  You also don't need the index at the beginning, and definitely don't need the last page (or back cover?) that just says "portfolio".  

Oct 1, 24 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: