Archinect
anchor

Drafter to Job Captain Transition

BulgarBlogger

Scenario: A firm owner recognizes the potential in a drafter to become a project captain, but doesn't know how to groom / train the drafter to become a Job Captain. The job captain is really diligent in following directions and does a good job at picking up redlines, but isn't (yet) familiar with building systems, construction means and methods, and how to coordinate different trades (yes, we're all aware that that this something SCHOOL should have taught at a basic level, but I'm more convinced that schools don't teach anything these days)

Beyond just assigning more and more redlines and hope that "time" will somehow by itself teach the drafter, at what point does the draft make the leap to job captain? What would be the first task? How do you know when someone is "ready"?

Jul 31, 24 7:39 pm

One question, is the drafter an architectural intern or a technician? 

I think the only way to know if they're ready is to give them a simple project (or parts of one) and see what they can do.  That way you could gauge what their capable of.  Of course you'd have to review their work and mentor them about improvements.  

A couple of ideas that could be helpful to help them improve.   

If they're a technician, maybe have the team member attend classes for basic building systems.  This may inform the team member and allow them to ask more pertinent questions.   Let them know what they don't know type of thing.  

Regardless of the persons education - mentor them.   

• Have a weekly meeting with them and do short teaching sessions about the areas they are inexperienced in.  
  • Give them 'moderate' tasks associated with he areas they are inexperienced in and then review things with them.  
  • When redlines are given  make sure to provide an explanation as to why it's being done.  

I know this takes some time but it's worth it if you think the team member is worth it.  

Good Luck!  

Aug 1, 24 10:14 am  · 
 · 
graphemic

Fun prompt. 

My own experience kind of follows the scenario. I worked under a lead for a few years on a very limited scope (lighting), and by the time CA rolled around it was my scope since my lead left the office. Huge opportunity, new challenges, but I had lots of support and understanding of the scope already. CA in general was an incredible learning period for me. It was awesome.

At that point management knew I wanted to be a lead, and eventually a PM or PA, so they put me on a early DD project where scope was still loose and I could participate in lots of areas. They also gave me scope/consultant to manage (acoustics), which was the first time I'd be doing so on my own so early in a project. 

That went on pause and now I'm kicking around an early SD project, but I feel like once either of these projects get to CDs I'll have my own scope. I don't have much context for other offices, but it's been pretty clear to me how I can take on more responsibilities. It helps that management is receptive to at least hearing what I want. 

Now the jump to PM/PA... very nebulous. Most people stick around when they get to that level, leaving very little room for people to move up from where I am. "Top heavy." We shall see. 

Aug 1, 24 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Have them do their own redlines. Pair them either with a peer who is in a similar place and they can help each other or with an older job captain who will give them guidance.

Aug 1, 24 12:27 pm  · 
2  · 

BulgarBlogger  -  If you can share, I'd love to hear how you decided to train / groom this team member for advancement.  

Aug 2, 24 11:13 am  · 
 · 
rsrs

Chad, since you are curious, I 'd like to let you know that grooming is carried out on the basis of looks and doesn't really contribute to advancement.

Aug 2, 24 11:41 am  · 
 · 

Ha! Just using the OP's phrasing. 

"but doesn't know how to groom / train the drafter to become a Job Captain. "

Aug 2, 24 11:49 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Actually, I’ve done this in the past, but if I had to boil it down to how this happened, it was very simple:

Aug 2, 24 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Actually, I’ve done this in the past, but if I had to boil it down to how this happened, it was very simple:

Aug 2, 24 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

The drafter understood two basic ideas: 1) the construction documents explain what the design intent is and 2) the drafter was actually interested in how the whole building comes together on a technical level and asked a lot of questions that ultimately made him/her grow. Without curiosity, nothing is possible.

Aug 2, 24 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Oh and I forgot: it’s not just getting trained. It’s retaining the information, then applying it consistently with integrity, and building upon previous skills and knowledge, that made the difference.

Aug 2, 24 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: