Archinect
anchor

Sustainable Wood-like Material (Coco Coir Board)

jasonjao

Hello everyone, for academic purposes, can you comment on the use of sustainable material (coco coir composite)?

1. What do you think of using coco coir composite as furnitures?

2. Is it practical for architects to incorporate it in their designs?

3. What do you think are the PROs and CONs?

Sep 6, 23 6:01 pm
Non Sequitur

what research have you done so far and what relevant conclusions have you established? Let me guess, you’ve done nothing and want the internet to do your work for you. Lazy wanker. 

Sep 6, 23 6:19 pm  · 
Kinsbergen

People are not wankers. They are people. Please learn how to talk to others, you are 40 years old.

Sep 7, 23 8:21 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Chartres point to the doll and tell me where the internet hurt you?

Sep 7, 23 4:56 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

I knew this mechanical consultant that during a site meeting made the plumber so mad that when we left the job shack that wanker went right up to the consultant and kicked him in the nuts. Now the mechanical consultant just stood there, didnt even bend over in pain. We now all call him Ole Iron Nuts. He is legend, the plumber not so much, he was just a wanker.

Sep 7, 23 5:01 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

Probably get a better answer from chatgpt than this forum

Sep 6, 23 6:41 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I take offense. M’y answer was spot on.

Sep 6, 23 7:00 pm  · 
2  ·  1
natematt

I'll bite... 

1. What do you think of using coco coir composite as furnitures?
If you like the look and have a source, could work?  No real strong opinion on this. 

2. Is it practical for architects to incorporate it in their designs?
Is there a commercially viable building materials manufacturer who even does this? Its like asking how I feel about integrating potato-skin glass into my building. Sounds cool, does it even exist as a product, and if it does can I actually buy it at scale and is it tested in the many ways needed for whatever the projected use is? I like it for my plants though :)

3. What do you think are the PROs and CONs?
Pros… maybe it looks cool? Maybe it’s sustainable… maybe kinda need product info to know that.
Cons: Again, is it actually a commercial product for construction, see above comment. And second… is the other big thing: is this even sustainable? It’s going to have to be an engineered composite, and probably not a great one from that standpoint. It’s going to be significantly reliant on adhesives similar to an OSB. The only real value would seem to be that you’re using a waste material, but can’t you do other things with it? 

Sep 6, 23 7:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

1. I'm open to the idea.
2. I don't know; I'm not familiar with the material.
3. Pros: could be good. Cons: could be bad. 

Now you go, jasonjao. Or else Non Sequitur is right. 

Sep 7, 23 12:05 pm  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: