Archinect
anchor

Is work after licensure supposed to be like this?

G4tor

Maybe it's me, but I hate my job more after being licensed.

More expectation, pressure, people always pinning everything on the architect as the scapegoat, all the while receiving minimal increase in pay.

Might be a signal to jump ship but i don't think this will ever change.

Thoughts?

Aug 31, 23 12:10 pm
natematt

Just sounds like a shitty firm to me. run.

Aug 31, 23 12:19 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

What were your negotiations prior to licensure like?  You did have the conversation with ownership prior, right?  You discussed your expected increase in responsibilities and proportionate increase in wages? Because, just having a license is not a golden ticket to rock-star status and keys to the company jet.  

Aug 31, 23 12:50 pm  · 
1  · 

Wait, I’m supposed to have a company jet as a firm owner? I don’t even own a car.

Aug 31, 23 1:08 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Josh, time to re-evaluate everything I guess.

Aug 31, 23 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

In my opinion being licensed isn't anything special. It is just the bare minimum to being an architect. If you work for someone else it is your skills and performance that matter to them. 

Aug 31, 23 1:20 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

A lot of people expect their jobs to change dramatically after licensure, but that doesn't always happen. The employer's reaction is often a lot less than what the employee expected, especially if the bosses have formed an opinion (correctly or not) that the employee's skills and performance are just fair-to-middling.

Aug 31, 23 3:55 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

Honestly, it seems like a bad thing if you're being held back before your license in a way that would allow your job to change much.

Aug 31, 23 6:20 pm  · 
1  · 
flatroof

Was told explicitly by my firm that if I got my license I'll...be doing the exact same thing I was doing before. 

Lucky to get the tests/ncarb certificate paid for. Better to switch firms or move to GC/Owner rep for more dollars than a small bump staying put. But then you'll have to pay back the test fees. 

Aug 31, 23 3:49 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

With that fresh license in your hand, its definitely a good time go on some interviews and investigate what other jobs are out there.   The employment opportunities are going to be much better for you as a licensed architect versus unlicensed or almost licensed.

You will have to figure out if you can adjust your current employment to become something you like better, or find a new job where the position better fits your needs and goals.

Aug 31, 23 3:53 pm  · 
2  · 
Immigrant Developer

You passed all those exams to work for someone else, so why not start the firm?

Aug 31, 23 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
msparchitect

My experience was the opposite. Sounds like a bad firm.

Sep 5, 23 1:31 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: