Archinect
anchor

Should I get a post graduate degree or just start looking for a job to work abroad

youssefel-mouden

Hi everyone ! This is my first post here (hopefully the first of many) so I hope we get along !

I am an architecture student from Morocco, entering my 6th and final year to finish my masters and get my diploma (here we have 3 years for bachelor and 2 years for masters). I'm starting to think about my future and my primary goal has always been to work in Europe. My main question at this point is, are those post graduate studies I see help in my career and me getting hired in those countries or are they a waste of time and I should just start looking for a job when I'm done and the diploma equivalence processes ? Also side note, being passionate about history and stuff, how is working as a historian/heritage preservation looking in terms of career opportunities ?

Many thanks for taking some time to answer my questions :)

Aug 26, 23 3:19 pm
glenloveland

Congratulations on nearing the completion of your architectural studies! Your question about pursuing postgraduate studies and planning your career in Europe is an important one, and it's great that you're considering your options strategically. Let's address your concerns:

Postgraduate Studies in Europe:
Postgraduate studies can indeed be valuable in enhancing your qualifications and skills. In many European countries, having a master's degree can provide you with a competitive edge in the job market. It showcases your dedication to the field and your willingness to invest in further education. Additionally, some countries might require a master's degree for certain architectural roles or licensure.

Furthermore, postgraduate studies can also provide you with opportunities to network, gain practical experience through internships or research projects, and become more familiar with European architectural practices and regulations. If you're aiming to work in a specialized area of architecture, such as heritage preservation (which you've mentioned an interest in), a relevant master's program could provide you with specialized knowledge and skills.

However, it's important to conduct thorough research into the countries you're considering and the specific requirements and preferences of potential employers. Some countries might have a streamlined process for recognizing foreign qualifications, while others might require additional steps for equivalency.

Heritage Preservation and Historian Roles:
Given your passion for history and heritage, pursuing a career in heritage preservation could be a rewarding choice. Heritage preservation involves the conservation, restoration, and management of historically significant buildings and sites. This field intersects with architecture, history, cultural studies, and even tourism.

Career opportunities in heritage preservation could include roles in architectural conservation firms, historical societies, museums, government agencies, and consulting firms. These roles often involve research, documentation, restoration planning, and ensuring that historical buildings and sites are preserved for future generations. Your architectural background combined with a passion for history could be a strong asset in this field.

In terms of career opportunities, the demand for professionals in heritage preservation can vary by region and country. In Europe, where historical sites and buildings are abundant, there's likely to be a need for experts in this field. Researching specific countries and their preservation efforts can give you insights into potential job prospects.

In conclusion, postgraduate studies can indeed contribute to your career prospects in Europe, particularly if you're aiming to work in a specialized area such as heritage preservation. However, it's essential to research and plan carefully, considering factors like equivalency processes, potential job markets, and the alignment of your studies with your career goals.

Best of luck in your final year of studies and in shaping your future career in architecture and heritage preservation. Feel free to reach out if you have more questions along the way. Your passion for both history and architecture will likely serve you well in pursuing a meaningful and fulfilling career.

Aug 27, 23 10:44 am  · 
 · 
graphemic

Surely this is a bot. OP, I hope someone is able to chime in with some tangible information.

Aug 30, 23 1:35 pm  · 
6  · 
Bench

Thought the same thing.

Aug 30, 23 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

"Slow news day" for bots to be weighing in on architectural education lol

Aug 30, 23 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
graphemic

It's delightfully mystifying... who programmed you to be here little bot? Like sighting a gnome.

Aug 30, 23 7:45 pm  · 
1  · 
youssefel-mouden

Yeah I knew it was either a bot or someone very lazy lol. Those were the exact same answers with the exact same words I got from ChatGPT

Sep 6, 23 7:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: