Archinect
anchor

Architectural Outsider Wondering About Humble Beginnings in the Industry

orionmartins

Dear Archinect people,

I am a 21 year old architecture and design lover who does not have a bachelors degree. 

I'm wondering how possible it would be to get a job anywhere between architects assistant and receptionist/coffeeboy with my current skillset.

I'll keep the tale as short as I can. I got my Associates degree by the time I was 18 and when I transferred to the 4 year, I fell in love with architecture, but was largely discouraged by the inconvenience of transferring into the discipline, especially once Corona swept through. 

I took a few university courses in architecture, spent months apprenticed under a natural builder, renovated my barn, did various construction jobs, traveled, maintained a daily meditation practice, moved to Chicago and lived as a jazz musician, made a bunch of art, and worked fulfilling odd jobs.

On paper I look pretty scattered, but in person, I have a good work ethic, a very level and perceptive head, and a really genuine love of the craft. I also have a lot of willingness to put in my time doing simple stuff.

Thanks,

Orion

Aug 22, 23 8:55 pm
graphemic

Do you want a job in architecture or a career as an architect? 

Genuine question, because those are two different paths. If you'd like a job, there are plenty of adjacent positions either in or out of architecture offices that could be fulfilling. Especially if you don't want to be locked into one thing for thirty years. If you'd like to "be" an architect then you should follow the traditional school-exam-practice path, but it's certainly not too late. In your case, a 5 year accredited BArch would maybe work. 

Anyhow, clarifying the question can help us give you advice. 

Aug 22, 23 9:20 pm  · 
2  · 
graphemic

One more thought: the notion of working with an architect as an apprentice or assistant in order to observe or learn about how they work doesn't really happen. Those who do work in that way are typically early career architects, and they should be. That's how we get experience, become better architects for our later career, etc. Administrative assistants are professionals as well, so they wouldn't be spending time on "architecture" so much as running a business.

Aug 22, 23 9:26 pm  · 
1  · 
orionmartins

Okay, so really I'm not trying to "be" an architect, at least definitely, not yet.

Aug 22, 23 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
orionmartins

My real goal is 1. Steady employment 2. trying to understand the architectural community 3. Networking with architects

Aug 22, 23 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
orionmartins

I am building a floating sauna for the purposes of facilitating Lake Michigan (Chicago) cold plunge experience. The dream is to facilitate the lanes of communication between the values of the architectural community and the people that it serves.

Aug 22, 23 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
orionmartins

Bill Evans once said this about music: "In fact, I would often rely more on the judgement of a sensitive layman than that of a professional, since the professional, because of his constant involvement with the mechanics of music, must fight to preserve the naivety that the layman already possesses." I think the cold and the heat (ever read Thermal Delight in Architecture?) have the potential to connect the architect with this naivety which gee they so dearly need

Aug 23, 23 12:01 am  · 
1  · 
graphemic

Agree with natematt below. Maybe find a small design-build firm or fabrication shop. At the small scale, high budget end of the industry things run a bit more on personal relationships and unique endeavors. More than anything, it sounds like you need a patron.

Aug 23, 23 3:13 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

You sound like you enjoy a healthy work-life balance and are pretty happy... I'd recommend staying away from architecture as a profession. 

Otherwise, go in to construction. Specifically small scale work, like houses. It seems like you would enjoy that process more than the traditional architectural practice. 

Aug 22, 23 9:31 pm  · 
3  · 
pandahut

Check out Oslo builders in Chicago. There are a few GC companies doing beautiful work in Chicago. Just need to find the ones that will let you design (design build perhaps).

Aug 23, 23 3:24 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: