Archinect
anchor

Restaurant Bar ADA (CA)

kjpn

Hi, I typically do residential work (not commercial), so navigating this question for the first time professionally. 

I've been looking at the 902 section in ADA code about information on restaurant bars and dining surfaces. The info on required dimensions (surface height, under-table height, knee space, approach space, etc.,) is easy to locate in the code. 

I have found a few online articles that state there should not be any backsplash or level change in the ADA portion of the bar - the implication being the bartop is a consistent depth, openness and 'viewing experience' across the ADA portion and the non-ADA portion. Is that in the standards, actually?

Also, I do not see any requirements for 'companion seating' for bartop seats in the ADA standards, but some jurisdictions seem to require a 60" Bartop Width to accommodate 1 wheelchair, presumably for 1 additional companion seat.

We want to create a 60" ADA 34"H section at a small bar, but were considering a reduction in the bartop depth in half of the 60" width to put some millwork there, hence the question.

Best,

Aug 16, 23 6:33 pm

Don't forget to look at the ICC A117.1 (2009 or 2017).  It's the ADA code that the IBC references and thus must be followed.  

Aug 16, 23 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
kjpn

Thank you. The content is not more detailed but nice to know the root basis for ADA standards.

Aug 16, 23 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

The ICCA117.1 is not the root basis for the ADA standards

You MUST follow ICCA117.1 as it's referenced in the IBC.  The ADA is NOT referenced in the IBC and unless the AHJ has adopted it you do not need to follow it.  While the ICCA117.1 and the ADA are similar they do have differences.  As an architect you need to know these differences and apply the appropriate accessibility standards depending on what's been adopted in your area.  

You really don't want to mess this up. 

Aug 18, 23 10:04 am  · 
 · 

Also - a state may have their own accessibility standards or amendments to the ICCA117.1.

Aug 18, 23 10:13 am  · 
 · 
poop876

Also, Kim from ICC has good memo about the bar top heights and accessibility.

Aug 18, 23 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: