Archinect
anchor

Design Software Necessary?

diegoalexismorales-suarez

I started learning Revit on my own but after a few days got sick of it, it seems to be more computer knowledge than architectural knowledge. I am new to this, being in my first quarter of a three year licensure, so I might just have overwhelmed myself trying to learn it on my own with the tutorials. Right now pencil and paper seem to be friendlier on the mind. I do have a feeling computer software(Revit/autocad/bim?/etc) is a large bonus (almost necessary) to know nowadays if I want to eventually get hired by an architectural firm. So my question is... Should I get started learning the programs asap and is it even necessary? I think the cost to rent the programs would cause a major loss in profit if not an expense instead of profiting from a project. One thing to note if you want to answer my question is that I'm not in the US where things are super advanced and projects are executed rather quickly. 

Aug 1, 23 3:40 pm

Are you a student?  If so in what country?

There isn't any 'architectural knowledge' in Revit.  It's a tool, just like a pencil.  Just like any other tool, Revit will not teach you anything about architecture or how buildings go together.  

As the owner of the first firm I worked with said "I don't care if you know _____ (insert program name here).  We will teach you that.  We've hired you because of your design skills."

Knowing Revit is helpful in terms of getting your first position however knowing how to design, building science, and presentation skills are more important.  This is especially true for your first position after graduation.  

Aug 1, 23 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

What the owner said to you alleviated me of the stress I had on this topic. Looks like I know what I need to focus on now. Also, I am a student going to a private University in Mexico, I haven't researched how the program I am in compares to others programs internationally, but I'm sure I'll be taught the basics, at least. Thanks for your response :)

Aug 1, 23 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

You bet! On a related note: if a potential employer only cares about your Revit experience then they'll realistically just use you as a drafter, aka sharpened pencil to produce only what they say.

Aug 1, 23 5:00 pm  · 
2  · 
zonker

90% of all architecture jobs are in production where knowing Revit is mandatory - If you want to be a designer working in Rhino and or Sketchup, then you need to impress a potential employer that you have the right stuff. "I started learning Revit on my own but after a few days got sick of it" says that you need to do a lot of work on yourself - that kind of attitude is the road to ruin in architecture

Aug 1, 23 5:42 pm  · 
1  · 

This type of attitude is the road to a dead end job (not career) in architecture.  

Also 90% of architecture isn't production work in Revit.  

Aug 1, 23 5:53 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

He's saying 90% of jobs, not 90% of work done.

I think the statement is still a bit off, it’s more like 90% of job listings ask that you have experience in Revit, particularly those in project oriented roles. Would you agree with that?

To the real point, I don’t think learning Revit in school, or even before school is that meaningfu l, it’s a bulky software, that you’re better off learning once you start working. It’s REALLY dry learning it in the abstract, and you don’t really learn it practically, so I don’t blame someone for getting bored. When you actually are learning how to do it in the profession it’s a lot better.

Aug 1, 23 7:57 pm  · 
1  · 

I must admit I have to work on myself a bit but I also thought that I should learn other things first that'll help me use ADS more effectively. You know what I'm saying Matt, I was certainly overwhelmed by all the features on Revit, and Chad I don't want a dead end job I try to work in what I enjoy. Going on a slight tangent, today I had a crisis thinking that I should've gone the engineering route, since mostly everyone in my class is making pretty, artsy models while I thought it'd be more fun to make mine out of concrete, basically running a mini-operation with a footing/foundation and forms and reinforcement and some natural and artificial lighting, which is more engineering based, but I am looking forward to the actual design part instead of the construction, which is why I chose this career.

Aug 1, 23 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

I don't know natematt

zonker said: 

"90% of all architecture jobs are in production where knowing Revit is mandatory" 

I agree that knowing Revit is beneficial to getting entry level work. I don't agree with zonker's statement.  I know plenty of PM's and a few PA's who don't do any production work and / or don't know Revit. 

Aug 2, 23 9:57 am  · 
1  · 
natematt

As I said, I don't agree with the word choice. Mandatory is not correct. However, most PA and even PM jobs list revit as a required/desired skill.

Random sampling of the first four PM jobs on the board... 3/4 strongly worded desire that you know revit... Sure, we know it's not actually a requirement, and that many of the people working these jobs don't actually know how to use it. The listings still ask for it... 

As for what constitutes production... I clarified also that I think it's more accurate to say 90% of project oriented jobs, because it's a little hard to say exactly what jobs are for "production", though again many of the PM job listings would imply they are doing production work requiring Revit, even if we both know that's probably not true. 

Aug 2, 23 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

Ah, there it is.  You're using the terms proficient and knowledgeable in Revit interchangeably.  They not the same thing. At least to me.  

I know plenty of people that are knowledgeable in Revit but don't know how to actually create a project in it.  

I know people who are proficient in Revit, can create CD's with it but couldn't figure out how to do any type of BIM anyaylis with with it. 

Aug 2, 23 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: