Archinect
anchor

Job opportunity in Detroit?

Pzha

Guys, I would like to ask if anyone has suggestions about the job market in the Detroit area.  I'm leaning toward living in Ann Arbor and raising my kids (at least the next 3-5 years), so I would like to ask opinions on architectural design job opportunities in Detroit. I don't have a strong desire to work on large projects. I just want to find a job, gain experience, and relocate to the Chicago area after 5 years. Or if my job in Detroit is good then I will just live there. I really love the schools for my kid. I will spend 2 years in Ann Arbor for my M.arch program, it will take 2 years in ann arbor, it will only take 45 minutes to Detroit. 

Best

Jul 26, 23 11:39 am
shellarchitect

I live in the northern suburbs of detroit and call tell you that the job market in the metro detroit area is very good for architects.  I can only assume that AA will be similar. Hopefully you can be mostly remote.  Driving 1.5 hours a day would get old really fast, especially if it snows, rains, or is too sunny! 

Jul 28, 23 8:46 am  · 
2  · 
joseffischer

I love the last sentence "especially if there's any weather one way or the other" agreed, 90 minutes there and 90 minutes back sucks no matter what.

Jul 28, 23 8:52 am  · 
2  · 
shellarchitect

to be fair, they're talking about a 45 min one way commute (I think) which would be 1.5 hrs. That could easily turn into 2 hrs or more with traffic!

Jul 28, 23 10:55 am  · 
1  · 
Pzha

thx guys. 

Jul 31, 23 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: