Archinect
anchor

Suggestion on this front elevation (designing for fun). Feel the roof needs to be pitched lower. How do you like the color selections? Shared inspiration photos as well. How's the windows/proportions?

flamesfan22

I feel the mass is too big on the right? I know the roof needs to be sloped way down so not sure if that's throwing's things off. 

Jul 19, 23 7:39 pm
natematt

Why would you pitch the roof down? With a building that proportion having a low pitch roof is going to make it a sliver on a mass, and you’re adding a nice metal standing seam roof....

I really don’t like the pattern/way that contrast material is applied, it just breaks up the form of the building. 

Jul 19, 23 7:47 pm  · 
 · 

Some of the issues you think you may have with the roof is that in the photo above, the design of your front elevation is orthographic while the photo you are overlaying is in "perspective" view. This makes your roof and elevation look taller, causing you to feel you need to lower the pitch. You need to do a full 3d model of the house, both the proposed alterations and the existing building as is. I think you skipped a vital step of doing a proper "As-is" drawings / 3d model, first, then making your proposed changes... to see how it looks in perspective view. 

Once you do that, you can better assess the front elevation. 

One thing I have done is 3d model a historic building to a reasonable approximation in Sketchup (you could use other software) and look at the building using both orthographic and perspective views and studied my alteration proposals. This gave me a much better or more accurate sense of what I am proposing but it is a lot of work.

Jul 19, 23 10:35 pm  · 
1  · 

I'd hire an architect to help you with this. ;)

Jul 20, 23 1:05 pm  · 
7  · 
Wood Guy

I'm guessing that the first and last images are the ones you're asking us to compare and the middle two are your inspiration images. They all look the same to me--Texas Hill Country Bourgeoise. 

Jul 20, 23 2:08 pm  · 
4  · 
natematt

Wait.... is the third image a different project... it's just a rip off of that one. why even ask...

Jul 20, 23 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Yeah. I mean, every other contemporary Texas Hill Country house looks like that so the third image wasn't breaking any new ground. But flipping a plan doesn't make it yours.

Jul 21, 23 9:48 am  · 
 · 
natematt

I actually like the second image....

Jul 21, 23 4:22 pm  · 
1  · 

I think the second image is the house as it is as photographed. The first and last photo is the proposed change where the OP had photoshopped overlay the changes so it looks weird because the modification is in ortho but the photo is in perspective view as it would be. I also see evidence of some other awkward photoshopping as well. Not worth conversing much about.

Jul 21, 23 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I can’t get past the title of this post.

Jul 20, 23 7:52 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Literally! I've been reading for like an hour.

Jul 20, 23 10:04 pm  · 
1  · 
Le Courvoisier

This is just me, but I think you should just go all gables everywhere. I’m talking gables on gables on gables. Make Anne of Green Gables jealous. 

Jul 21, 23 2:54 pm  · 
3  · 
citizen

Jul 21, 23 2:57 pm  · 
2  · 

That is a lot of Gables . . .

Jul 21, 23 3:32 pm  · 
2  · 

It looks pretty fine to me. Nothing exceptional, but decent.

Jul 22, 23 9:50 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: