Archinect
anchor

Specifications

sidewinder

I've never done them before. Not much spec experience in the office. I don't want it to lead to a CA nightmare. Any advice?

Jul 13, 23 2:48 pm
Appleseed

Hire a consultant.

Jul 13, 23 3:01 pm  · 
1  · 
sidewinder

I wish! Not in my hands unfortunately.

Jul 13, 23 6:56 pm  · 
 · 

Based on a quick search of your post history you've been working since 2017 (six years experience or so).  I'd suggest you look at past specs on projects you've been a part of and try to understand how they work with the drawings. 

Jul 13, 23 3:15 pm  · 
1  · 
sidewinder

Great advice. Always good to remember that their not separate from everything else we do. Thanks!

Jul 13, 23 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

Where are you based? I've only done specifications with government projects, but I imagine the format would be similar. Sure, probably less of a focus on policies, rules and regulations, but the framework was understood by most contractors.

At least in Canada we've got the NMS, or National Master Specification, it's probably over the top for what you need, but could be a starting point. 

https://nrc.canada.ca/en/certi...

Specs are slow and tedious, but I'd say pretty important to get right, and to ensure there are no conflicts. 

Jul 13, 23 4:58 pm  · 
1  · 
sidewinder

I'm based in the Midwest US. Thanks for the resource. If I'm understanding the NMS, is it an equivalent to the Construction Specification Institute (CSI)?

Jul 13, 23 6:59 pm  · 
1  · 
graphemic

I'm sorry I usually want to be helpful but this is like asking "what's up with plans?" haha. Ok, helpful: there's plenty of ARE related textbooks about specifications and project documentation. You could start there for a big picture. Ask your managers/mentors, look at your office's other completed projects. All great routes, learning about them will be fun!

Jul 13, 23 5:10 pm  · 
1  · 
sidewinder

Will check them out, thanks!

Jul 13, 23 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: