Archinect
anchor

Portfolio preparation

Maria Tenente

Hey, I have a question, is it alright to include in one's portfolio a competition project that was not submitted? Basically, the project was halfway done so I never submitted for the competition although I was a candidate. However, later on I finished it. Would a future employer or alumni be interested in seeing the project if for example it was something that I was really proud of and could show my other interests? Will they not call the competitions institution that I was a candidate?

Jun 25, 23 2:44 pm
graphemic

Go ahead, so long as you clearly state that this is the case. Doesn't need a big disclaimer either: it's a project inspired by "x" competition, or produced for "x" competition, etc. 

For my school portfolio I included sculptural work and drawings that had no purpose whatsoever. As long as it shows your skills, go for it. 

For the peanut gallery: does anyone care about competitions? Like, does the name/prestige of a competition add to whatever quality that the work already shows? 

Jun 26, 23 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

Just my opinion . . . 

The quality of the work in the competition is what matters most. 

If you've done good work then winning the competition doesn't matter. I'd say that taking the initiative to enter a competition and do the work shows a great deal of positive things about a person's character and drive.

Jun 27, 23 1:07 pm  · 
2  · 
Maria Tenente

Thank you so much

Jul 16, 23 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: