Archinect
anchor

Transitioning out of practice

Emily234

Hi!

After a bit of advice. I’m due to qualify as an architect in the UK in September. My undergrad was in Interior architecture. I got a job at a small practice focusing on high end resi, hospitality & office projects as an interior architect. I have worked there full time whilst working to get my Part 1, 2 and 3 part time, after work. 

I’m incredibly grateful for the experience and I do still really love architecture. However, I have been working full time whilst studying for the last 8 years meaning I have used all my weekends and holidays to do university work. I’m feeling a bit burned out and I’m considering selling my house, taking a career break and slow travelling solo for a year in 2024. I’ve always dreamt of traveling & feel if I don’t do it now I never will! 

The dream situation would be to get a remote job for 20-30 hours a week so I’m not completely burning through savings.

As I’m sure you are aware there are few remote architect or interior design roles, especially for 20-30 hours a week. 

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of something I could perhaps look to transition into? Or if there’s anyone out there that has transitioned out of practice into a position they would recommend? 

For example I have seen a couple of remote lecturer positions which may work. My university has asked me if I would like to tutor the undergraduates one day a week - which I would accept in order  to look favourable, if I do decide to apply to be a remote lecturer. 

Or I often see remote visualiser jobs but would have to spend this next few months building a better visual portfolio, brushing up on the newest software etc. 

I’ve seen a couple remote jobs for companies building their components as families for downloads. 

I’ve seen a few remote design manager roles for hotel chains - these require travel to various hotels - but this may fit. Or maybe something to do with estate planning etc. 

If all else fails I’ll likely just ask my current job for a year sabbatical & pick fruit as I go

Jun 11, 23 4:08 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: