Archinect
anchor

Summer intern

maithilili

Hello everyone, 

I'm a summer intern working at a pretty well known firm. I'm working in their healthcare division. But repetitively I'm just hearing that as summer internship is not long term there's not much they can assign me on, but I'm here to work and gain experience more importantly, how can I convince or ask for work? 

-An intern who is in desperate need for help.

May 30, 23 11:08 am

First off I am assuming you're being paid a fair hourly wage for your area.  If not leave.  

As for your main question:  

Simple - ask for more work.  

If you're not getting more work then ask your bosses why.  

May 30, 23 11:10 am  · 
 · 
maithilili

Getting paid less work, I've been promised some work but I've been just floating from project to project.

May 30, 23 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

That's normal. You're a summer intern with no experience.

May 30, 23 5:05 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

if it's an unpaid internship, then leave yesterday.  Otherwise, ask you direct supervisor if anyone needs a hand.  Alternatively, spend your time reading up on past projects to get valuable experience.

May 30, 23 12:28 pm  · 
2  · 
maithilili

Yes it's not unpaid. I've been asking every morning. I'm just floating around lol.

May 30, 23 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

You are an intern, you going to just float around, you don't know enough to be given your own project or any responsibility for anything. Just soak in as much as you can while you are there. Go clean the print room or something when others dont have work for you. Go get everyone coffee, they will love you for that

May 30, 23 3:50 pm  · 
4  · 
maithilili

Haha okay! Noted :)

May 31, 23 8:38 am  · 
 · 
maithilili

The reason for concern is just that I'm a master's student, but also international, so I did my undergrad in India and I'm looking for experience :D

May 31, 23 8:39 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

It's not uncommon to have a lot of downtime as an intern.  The permanent staff are often too busy to formulate work assignments for the summer interns.

In addition to what others have said, ask to sit in on meetings.  Most people won't mind an observer in the room watching the proceedings.

If you think you are going to be laid off due to lack of work, I really doubt that will happen.  Only an incredibly cheap and shitty firm would cut a temporary person one month into a three month internship. 

May 30, 23 12:37 pm  · 
2  · 
maithilili

No I'm not worried about being laid off at all it's a great form, just the work.

May 30, 23 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Ok, that's good to hear. But do all of the suggested things to try to be helpful to the staff and/or learn things on your own. How a person uses downtime says a lot about what kind of employee they are.

May 30, 23 5:08 pm  · 
1  · 
maithilili

That makes so much sense, thank you! I've been reading and going through case studies the office has, it's been a lot of learning even through it, so yes, I think I should accept that and be satisfied.

May 31, 23 8:40 am  · 
 · 

maithilili - It sounds like you have a great attitude and are being proactive, good for you! 

I'd view your student internship as a way to get a look at what actual architecture is like. With all of your case studies I'd see if you could speak to one of the architects that worked on the project and ask them questions about it. Things like: what was the most difficult part of the project? what is something they learned while on the project? where did they get inspiration for the design?

May 31, 23 10:46 am  · 
 · 
maithilili

Oh yes, that's a great idea! I should totally do this! Thank you!!

May 31, 23 12:30 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: