Archinect
anchor

Looking for remote architecture jobs

ivonakrsteska7667

Hi everyone,

My name is Ivona and I am master of architecture and engineering, I am looking for a remote job whether its a 3D rendering or full plan design in AutoCAD. I am proficient in AutoCAD, SketchUp, ArchiCAD, Lumion and Photoshop and Ive been working for 2 years now. The thing is I travel a lot and my lifestyle doesnt go well with my country's job opportunities, so anyone that knows an architecture company who can use someone like me pls leave a comment :)

May 29, 23 3:17 pm
Non Sequitur

This is not how job hunting works but what you're saying is that your extra-curriculars take precedence over your employer's deliverables therefore you want someone else to adjust their business model to suit a junior staff's naïve globe trotting endeavors.  

Good luck.

May 29, 23 3:42 pm  · 
2  · 

Your best bet is to do contract positions that are remote. I do have a friend that does this while traveling. That said, that kind of thing can be tough for a junior person without a lot of work under their belt. It’s more successful for senior position people that can just run with things with little to no direction. 

May 29, 23 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Follow remote job opportunities here, including jobs that offer working remotely as an option:

https://archinect.com/jobs/region/Remote/all/remote

May 29, 23 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

It would be nice if you could break it down one step farther. The vast majority of these are "remote available" with a physical location still required, vs fully remote.

Jun 2, 23 4:15 am  · 
 · 
Archinect

All of the jobs in this list can be performed remotely. The jobs that indicate a city do not require to be in person. They offer the option to work remotely.

Jun 2, 23 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

To be fair Archinect, about half of the positions on that list say either 'remote work possible' or 'hybrid work possible'. They aren't all remote work.

Jun 2, 23 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

When companies post job ads they have the choice between in-person roles, remote roles, or in-person with the option of working remotely. All of the jobs in this list are remote, or in-person with the option to work remotely.

Jun 2, 23 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

(replying to Archinect) All I was asking for was an additional filter that matches that - "Remote" vs "Option to work remote" - when you actually click through to the job listing or their website, many of the "option to work remotely" jobs are for a limited number of days per week, or otherwise geographically restricted.

Jun 3, 23 3:07 am  · 
 · 
kenchiku

Even the offices I know of with remote staff are very hesitant bringing on someone new who is remote. Ability to go remote is a lot easier to come by if you've been with the office for awhile first.

May 31, 23 7:31 am  · 
1  · 

Ivona -

There are a lot of questions that you'd need to answer before anyone could realistically give you advice. 

1. So you have masters degrees in architecture and engineering? 
  2. What country did you get your degrees in? 
  3. Is your architectural degree accredited?  
  4. What country are you currently practicing in?  
  5. What country do you want to work in? Have you started your licensing process?   
May 31, 23 11:01 am  · 
 · 
przemula

Watch this thread become a place where junior architects/designers from all around the world put their brief experience here and ask potential employers to contact them. For anyone else who read this post and think of doing it, that's not the right way

May 31, 23 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

What's the right way?

May 31, 23 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
pandahut

Stand 60 feet away from hiring mngr and expose yourself. Works for senior partners to interns no?

May 31, 23 9:24 pm  · 
3  · 

Uh . . . well . . . um . . . you first.

Jun 1, 23 10:00 am  · 
 · 
przemula

I don't know what's the right way, but OP sounds painfully naïve. I am frankly skeptical if there's ANY way to achieve that, but perhaps I am wrong, and someone can enlighten me. What I seen though are other threads like that, where people are even so lazy, that they just copy and paste previous post, just changing names, country of origin, etc. It's always either student or someone who barely have any experience, hence the delusion this may work

Jun 1, 23 10:41 pm  · 
 · 

przemula - I think the OP was asking if people here knew of firms that are looking for remote workers.  Networking so to speak.  

I agree that posting here and expecting employers to find you isn't the best way to do things. Employers don't have the resources (time / money) to do this. 

For some reason your view that you know it's 'wrong' but don't know why or the the 'right' way to do it rubs me the wrong way. 

Jun 2, 23 10:02 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

It's not the TRADITIONAL way, but the traditional way doesn't work well for all job seekers. And for some employers, like me, the traditional way doesn't work very well either. In fact, if the OP had just a little more experience, her skills and schedule would work for me--I just don't want to train someone with only two years of experience.

Jun 2, 23 10:12 am  · 
1  · 
proto

I wouldn’t know how to collaborate with someone remote, esp junior level that I want to learn my methods/standards…too much difficulty handholding the process

Jun 2, 23 10:55 am  · 
 · 

I think it would all depend on the type of setup a firm had. I agree though that mentoring junior staff would be more difficult but still possible. I could see doing hybrid wfh / office hours though.

Jun 2, 23 11:20 am  · 
 · 
przemula

Chad - perhaps I came off looking like a disgruntled boomer, for which I apologize. But these are the facts, it's the wrong way, and just because I don't know what's the right way doesn't mean that I can'

Jun 3, 23 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
przemula

EDIT: Chad - perhaps I came off looking like a disgruntled boomer, for which I apologize. But these are the facts, it's the wrong way, and just because I don't know what's the right way doesn't mean that I can't advise future posters to not do it this way, so they can save some time?

Jun 3, 23 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
przemula

The questions you asked in your reply are very valid, but this post was OPs one-off, she's busy now checking how many people viewed IG story from her latest adventure; the thing is, she travels a lot

Jun 3, 23 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
przemula

But on a serious note: chances of getting hired (remotely or not) in American firm by 0-2 yrs exp junior designer from Eastern Europe/Latin America/Asia are zero to none. With a lot of luck and really good rendering skills, potential candidate could be outsourced for some visuals, but this also becomes harder every year - doesn't mean it's impossible. Also, this is more like freelancing, not being an remote employee. The way I see it, OP doesn't know much about the profession in general, design, building codes and working with jurisdictions, technical standards, etc.

Jun 3, 23 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

(Replying to przemula latest) Enscape has completely changed this calculus. Whereas once, even recently, there were lots of contract or freelance visualization opportunities, those are almost completely gone - the majority of renderings are now done in house quickly and to a high standard compared to what we used to produce 10 years ago.

Jun 4, 23 12:55 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

@proto - I've been doing contract work remotely for nearly a year now (my whole "van down by the river schtick" is partially true) and it is shocking how different the process is based on who my contact at the firm is. 

In some cases people (perhaps like yourself, not necessarily) who are skeptical or inflexible are nearly impossible to work with - they either have unreasonable expectations, or are used to (micro)managing things in a very particular way. Others get me what I need to do my work and get out of the way other than when discussion and collaboration are needed. 

I have 15+ yrs experience, licensed, have led many built projects in a variety of municipalities. Even with that, it's amazing how difficult it can be sometimes.

Jun 4, 23 1:00 am  · 
 · 
przemula

​@archanonymous​ - this is very valid observation, as that is what literally happened in my old job - freelance CG artist was replaced by Enscape. That's why I said 'really good' CG skills would be required, for high quality renderings that Enscape can't handle. To add to remote work thread in general, you were able to secure remote employment because you have substantial local (and by local I mean US) experience and you're licensed professional. Which is not the case in OPs situation

Jun 4, 23 7:55 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

100%. I would even go so far as to recommend that young people wanting to advance in the profession look for a hybrid schedule or "a few years in person, a few years remote" kind of schedule. Depends on the type of work though, I suppose.

Jun 5, 23 12:39 am  · 
 · 
luvu

@archa 100% agreed on Enscape , those 3d max /vray images are dead now… Less and less market for CG/visualization folks. Only in high i end multi -residential in that are still using them ( at least in my region).

Jun 5, 23 5:22 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Does anyone else remember staying up all night at your university's computer lab so you could use all the computers together as a render farm in order to produce 3-4 images at 720p x 1080p with V-Ray? Takes like 3-4 minutes now with Enscape.

Jun 5, 23 11:03 am  · 
5  · 

Never stayed up all night for school. Didn't start doing computer renderings until 2005.

Jun 6, 23 10:16 am  · 
 · 
proto

@archanonymous, I don't doubt you've had frustrations and successes from the consultant side. There is certainly a micro managerial element to my own personal process, but my name is on the door. So I'm a bit focused on not only the result of the contract work, but the process as well since we inherit that in the form of digital files for our records that become the resources for our future work.

Jun 6, 23 10:54 am  · 
 · 
Orca

Me in 2019: Ha ha, so long losers, I’m going to work for a GC. No more commuting to the same desk every single day to stare at CAD!

Me from 2020 Onward: Well that was a mistimed career jump. 

Jun 3, 23 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

There's never a wrong time to leave architecture.

Jun 4, 23 12:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: