Archinect
anchor

Being an architect in the U.S in 2023, how's it like? Is it worth it still?

spoove17

Hello all,

Some context for my question: I'm 25, and have been a marketing coordinator at an architecture firm for the past two years. I was looking to switch careers from Marketing to Architecture. I've applied & have been accepted to grad school for a 3-year MArch program. 

The question: For any American architects on this forum, specifically entry/mid-level folks, how's the industry been looking in 2023 and for the not-so-distant future? Do you think it's worth being an architect nowadays? 

I've read a lot of past posts/articles, most that were posted during/after the housing crash era, that have described the reality or dissatisfactions of being an architect (employment, income, etc.). 

I understand the time and work needed to become a successful architect, but I know we're heading into uncertain times economically. I know you're not going to make millions being an architect, but as long as it reasonably provides for my future family I'm all good with the profession.  

I've had a passion for architecture and the qualities an architect must have for a very long time. I'm not one of those people who likes it because "I like cool buildings" or "because I played with Legos" (not an insult!).  Being around the work at my job, I understand the reality of the responsibilities that an architect does, and it still excites me. 

Many thanks

May 17, 23 12:18 pm
reallynotmyname

The odds of success are highest if you can do the MArch with no or very minimal loan debt.

The current architectural labor shortage is really severe, so there's a good job market now.  Good low and mid level people are in demand just about everywhere.  The question for me is how it all looks when the market cools off.  If there's like 4 jobs openings for every applicant right now, and it declines to 1.5, your are still ok.  If things deteriorate to 3 applicants for every opening, not so much.

As a person with experience in architectural marketing, you will probably be in the top tier of many firms' applicant pool anyway.

May 17, 23 2:14 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

I still play with Legos.

Answer the following:

1. How much will grad school cost you? 
  2. How much to you expect to make within the first few years?
  3. How long do you think the intern process will take you?

Remember, it's not worth it to sink several 100k into an art degree because you're in love with the idea of architecture.  You must really really love absurd and/or creative problem solving, anal retentive detailing (often of no importance to anyone) and construction AS WELL AS design.

May 17, 23 2:21 pm  · 
4  · 
lacalr

I also recommend looking into your local jurisdiction and the requirements other than the degree. That is if licensure is something you would like to pursue in the end! 

May 17, 23 2:24 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

Yes, do not put too much money into Grad School. Lots of entry level jobs will get cuz of AI-based production, or at the least, it will get even more competitive at the bottom. Remember this as a "passion-play"

May 17, 23 4:19 pm  · 
reallynotmyname

You may want to consider researching and being strategic about where you go to live and work after school.  The number and quality of career opportunities are not evenly distributed across the USA.   There are benefits to being somewhere where a) there is a large concentration of major architecture firms and/or b) there is durable long-term regional economic and population growth.

May 18, 23 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: