Archinect
anchor

ZHA developing "most" projects using AI-generated images says Patrik Schumacher

t a z

dezeen.com

Gulp.

Apr 27, 23 10:33 am

It's interesting that people don't realize that the 'AI' (actually Artificial Narrow Intelligence) is just scouring the internet for examples of images that people have created and attempting to 'fit' them into a set of constraints.  

At some point use of ANI could cause a 'dead end' in its ability to be 'creative' as it will have run out of human created content to search and instead will be using its own creations.  This could lead to everything being generated by ANI to be the same.   

Apr 27, 23 10:48 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Why is this gulp? Is it not fairly well known that early ZHA used copiers to create glitch schemes?

Apr 27, 23 10:49 am  · 
4  · 

I'm not familiar with the process you're referring to bta. Would you be able to explain it or provide a link about it?

Apr 27, 23 11:11 am  · 
1  · 
t a z

Well, if AI is scrapping the internet to cull images in the style of ZHA I suppose the results are mostly derivatives of ZHA projects anyway. Either that or ZHA / MAD love children are being created.

Apr 27, 23 11:22 am  · 
 · 

But it the images are all ANI created then it becomes a snake eating its tail scenario . . .

I wouldn't rule out the love child though. ;)

Apr 27, 23 11:28 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

It all goes back to REM after all.

Apr 30, 23 1:46 am  · 
 · 
newguy

basically just admitting that they don't care for concept-based design and only pursue stylized form making....oh, and of course the ability to cut down on initial design labor costs.  this shit is going to turn me into a luddite.

Apr 27, 23 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

I used to do that shit manually.  At my old job, the "director of design" would have me and the rest of the staff scour the web for photos of other architects' projects for them to copy.   We literally never produced anything that somebody hadn't done before.

Apr 27, 23 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

Unethical but it makes you wonder. Our any of our ideas original?

Apr 27, 23 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I think Patrick Schumacher IS an AI

Apr 27, 23 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

I think you're an ANI. I could be too. Time to turing test everyone just to be sure.

Apr 27, 23 2:53 pm  · 
1  · 
t a z

Schumacher has seemingly appeared in the dezeen comment section. This is a popcorn worthy event.

Apr 27, 23 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Hey Rick, can you please do a lengthy analysis on the legality of plan stamping for AI.   Thanks ;)

Apr 27, 23 4:50 pm  · 
1  · 

Oh be quiet.  I just violated the TOU.  ;)

Apr 27, 23 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
pandahut

An egotistical architect reigns, Whose creativity now wanes, His designs seem to lack heart, So he relies on AI to do his part.

The firm he owns pays a slave's wage, The working conditions are a cage, But his ego won't let him see, The damage done by his own decree.

He thinks he's a master of the trade, But it's the AI that's getting him paid, For the originality he lacks, Is made up by the code that's on his racks.

But what will happen when the machine, Produces a design that's unforeseen, Will he take credit or step aside, And let the AI take the ride?

Perhaps it's time for him to learn, That true creativity comes from the burn, Of passion, heart, and intuition too, Not just relying on code to see him through.

Apr 27, 23 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

Nice ChatGPT poem.

Apr 27, 23 5:39 pm  · 
1  · 
pandahut

I'm hoping he's snooping here like he does on Dezeen lol. Hi, Patrick!

Apr 27, 23 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

He does snoop on here.

Apr 27, 23 8:54 pm  · 
1  · 
Archinect

Like Jack Torrence at the Overlook Hotel, Patrik has always been here...

May 3, 23 11:54 am  · 
2  · 

in its current form AI is not competing for creative control of design. Its the same as sketching and an ideation tool. For an office with a direction like ZHA it makes sense.

Being self-referential is a hallmark of a lot of offices, from steven holl to tadao ando to BIG. Creativity is often a matter of the mashup of the familiar with unfamiliar. Its what we do as architects all the time. AI seems to be doing that part for us, allowing us to get slightly further out of our heads than normal. Notice he is not saying anything more than that. Its part of the mix. Relatively healthy tbh. Less healthy would be the partner who says they only build their ideas and ignore all other input.

Doesnt mean AI is not dangerous, but this aspect so far is one of the upsides

Apr 28, 23 4:28 pm  · 
5  · 
nabrU

The AI thing ZHA kind of own it. if Zaha was alive I'm sure she would have some things to say about prompts 'in her style'. 

On a similar subject there are lots of people on instagram calling for Olafur Elliasson and Tate modern to bring back The Weather Project so they can take photos of themselves and ruin the experience.

Apr 28, 23 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

I suppose if the current ZHA is doing their best to emulate/execute the "house style" standards set by Hadid, then a blackbox AI could do a comparable pre-concept job by studying the millions of ZHA images online.

Apr 29, 23 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

@matsys design (Andrew Kudless) is doing pretty cool things with AI, suggesting a sketchbook approach that feeds models and renders through the text-based systems, not just scraping the internet. For example, starting a sketch with a Zbuffer layer from rhino allows pursuit of materials and forms without losing control of all parameters (sounds goofy to my ears as I write it, but check out the IG images for an idea of what that means). It's a lot like parametric design. Little wonder ZHA would pick that up. If they are sophisticated users they are likely to get sophisticated results. The training set decides the outcome and it never needs to be just images online.

Apr 29, 23 3:24 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I love his and brianmkelly_ work. They are thinking about the correct way I think. More like sketches, inspiration, jumping off points. I'm trying to get to where they are as well; using my own sketches, appropriated photos - ala Rauschenberg -...

Apr 29, 23 10:36 pm  · 
3  · 
archanonymous

Come on Will, you are constantly chiming in with rational, reasoned analysis informed by working and teaching in high-level design. BOOOOOOOOORING. 

I come here for the hot takes.

Apr 30, 23 1:54 am  · 
2  · 
luvu

Agreed, /

Apr 30, 23 2:24 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Does AI draw sections? 

Apr 29, 23 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
____

Never go full AI.

Apr 29, 23 7:44 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: