Archinect
anchor

From Architect to BIM Coordinator/Manager

Ignatius

Has anyone done this transition?

I'm working as an architect and have been doing so since I graduated in 2018. I'm very technically savvy, so I am in charge of a lot of computationally heavy tasks, whether it's generating GH or Dynamo scripts, interchange between different software, I am very good at Revit and BIM methodologies in general and to be honest, my brain prefers the methodological part of organizing the models, geometries, sheets, parameters etc, and I really dislike the messy environment and thought process of how architects go about designing buildings.

I'm in my early 30's, and looking forward to future, I know that working in BIM is in high demand now and I have all the skill required to do it. The salaries in BIM positions are much higher that architects, and the hours are shorter, so it seems like a no brainier. The thing is, in BIM career path is quite short, and you will get a point very fast where there is no going up from there.

I work at a big international office in the UK, and I have already spoken to some people in the BIM department about moving, and now I need to choose: "Boring" job, better hours and money, and short career path or "seemilgy not boring about in reality very stressful and underpaid", but in 20 years I might make more money that a BIM manager. I am still researching this by talking to people in both position in my office and other people in the industry, but I would like to know if anyone here has made this transition?

Given the state of the our profession and looking into the future, my priorities in life are to start a family soon, and have a good work-life balance and, most importantly, more money. I see architects who are partners and have been in the company for 15 years and still do late nights, and always seem to be under immense stress. Is this stress worth it. salary wise?

Apr 24, 23 11:02 am

I know an architect who moved to a BIM manager / expert.  The thing he did was literally create software add ins for Autodesk.  His career has been moving forward quite well and he's in high demand. 

Apr 24, 23 11:48 am  · 
2  · 
reallynotmyname

The sweet spot careers in architecture are often in things that most staff don't like/want to do.  BIM management is certainly one of them.  It seems like a good route considering your stated interests.  And yes, it is a well-paid and currently in-demand position.

Does this mean you miss out on a partnership?  Maybe.  Is there a defined partnership track at your firm that you are certain you could follow?  Some big firms have that, but in many places partnership offers come to people via a mixture of politics and timing/luck.  Many of those things are beyond a person's control.  And yes, there are lots of firm owners and partners working long hours and making very unimpressive incomes because of the crappy economics of the profession (in the USA anyway).

Apr 24, 23 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

Heading in that direction as well, but starting from scratch on the programming side.  Considering taking some time off the profession to become a Revit expert/learn scripting since people with just High School diplomas and some Revit certs can become BIM managers (not a knock against them). Plus BIM managers can be found in all the AEC industries and probably weather downturns better than architects. An architect might make more at some point, but how many years of lost income will you have if you get laid off at the wrong time?

Apr 24, 23 1:06 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: