Archinect
anchor

Metaverse architecture - Meta-Architects

alouiradhwen

Hello everyone,

I am excited to share with you that I am an architecture student in my final year of studies, and I am currently working on a project that explores the intersection between the metaverse and architecture.

As an architecture student, I am interested in exploring how the metaverse can be integrated into the built environment. I believe that the metaverse has the potential to change the way we design and the way we conceptualize spaces. It can offer new possibilities for collaboration, communication, and interaction within architectural spaces

My project aims to showcase the evolution of working from home by designing a virtual architecture agency in the metaverse. The goal is to create a space where architects and designers can collaborate and work together on projects, regardless of their physical location.The virtual agency will also have the ability to create virtual spaces and metaverses, which can be used to showcase architectural designs to clients and stakeholders

I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Have you ever considered the intersection between the metaverse and architecture? Do you think that metaverse technology has the potential to transform the way we design and experience physical spaces? Let's discuss it!

Apr 19, 23 11:40 am
Non Sequitur

You're a few decades too late.  This horse keeps getting beat over and over again.  Case in point, I was editor on a graduate thesis some 14years ago on this very same subject.

Apr 19, 23 11:47 am  · 

i like the idea that working from home would be advantageous to developing metaverse .

Apr 19, 23 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

Why would working from home do this? What is the benefit of the metaverse?

Apr 19, 23 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

This question always makes me think of websites that try to imitate a physical book, with little buttons to turn the page, often with a "whoosh" sound. Or Second Life, which was the darling of futurists around 15-20 years ago, where your Grand Theft Auto-like avatar could walk around a city with less character than a blank Sketchup model.

My take: we already have the metaverse, or we're already living in the future. How much time do we spend on Zoom or other video conferencing? Texting, emailing and messaging? Using various cloud-based software that allows collaboration and working from anywhere? There are reasons modern work life has gradually moved to those systems, vs. everyone having an Occulus headset and walking around a virtual shopping mall. We don't need to pretend we're walking through a mall; we already have the Amazon model which is more or less optimized for how we actually use the internet. 

What I do see changing is anything that feels like drudgery: developing a dozen schemes for a bathroom layout, or producing CDs from a well-developed DD set, or sizing a mechanical system are all things that AI will probably be able to handle soon, if it can't already. 

Apr 19, 23 6:28 pm  · 
4  · 
JonathanLivingston

I agree. IMO The big thing missing from all of these meta-verse conversations and attempts is what I would call the wealth of subconscious information. Let me explain: when you sit in the room with someone, you are aware of their breathing, is it heavy, stressed, or calm? You intake this information and act accordingly conscious or not. When you walk next to someone and talk you naturally match their stride, you know if they are in a hurry or relaxed and you act accordingly. When someone smiles at you it's almost impossible to not return a smile and mimic their actions, in so doing you know if it was a truly happy smile or a smirk with malice. You interpret subconsciously a huge amount of information based on physical presence and being physically near someone because we have evolved to act on a large amount of information conveyed in many more ways than literal speech or writing. In order for any metaverse application to make big advances it needs to be able to convey these types of subconscious cues and interpretations of subtle information.

Apr 19, 23 6:46 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Excellent points. I think that's part of the reason younger generations today seem to struggle with interpersonal and intergenerational communication; their world is so tied to their devices that their people-sense is not well developed, due to lack of exposure. That's a guess, anyway, based on the young people I know.

Apr 20, 23 10:07 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

my personal experience, I have principals exploring AI graphics in the same way they sit next to an Arch 1-2 narrating their moves to see it in sketchup. I'm not saying a bunch of what I do couldn't be assisted or taken over by AI software, I just don't see it happening yet. short term (5 years time) I'm more worried about the juniors being replaced than someone like me... I've seen some people really getting an assist from chatGPT on code questions, for instance, but rounding on my 2nd decade in the career I just know the code, so don't even have to ask...

Apr 20, 23 11:45 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Haha, I just got off the phone with a code enforcement officer a plumber called to report my design for an interior stair with a new door at the top of the stair, without a landing, on a 2-family under the IRC. After a few emails back and forth, I had to tell him where to look in the code to see that we didn't need a landing. And he's been there a long time!

Apr 20, 23 12:04 pm  · 
1  · 
graphemic

Personally, I think the metaverse as pitched is unrealizable and as executed is a total joke. 

But for the sake of constructive feedback, it seems like your topic is playing by the "rules." Which is to say, developing a virtual office is already what metaverse platforms pitch to their customers. This isn't a thesis project, it's just a project. It's like saying, "my thesis is to design a building." It's not enough. The solution to this problem might be specificity... what exact tools, ideas, actions will be changed by this shift in location? How do we "see" things differently? Who gets to design the virtual office itself? Seems like something architects would enjoy playing with...

There are loads of interesting ideas to explore beyond the sales pitch. Since you've probably not been in a professional environment, observe what you already know about designing based on your own time in school. I assume you've already been working "virtually" in the way Wood Guy described above. 

Good luck. Again, please approach the topic with a bit more skepticism, or at least more pragmatism, and your project will benefit enormously. 

Apr 21, 23 1:27 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Let me know when I can get a meta burger that tastes as good as an in-n-out burger but with zero calories and I’m all in.  Until then, I’m not joining any stupid VR work meeting.  

Apr 21, 23 2:54 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

A burger without calories is a sad burger.

Apr 21, 23 5:23 pm  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: