Archinect
anchor

Internship importance in architecture - Seeking advice on program options

ogwant

Hello everyone,

I am an international student who will be completing my B.Arch degree at US this May and will be starting a Master of Science in Architecture program. I am seeking advice regarding the importance of completing an internship before graduation and how it can impact my job search in the future.

I have three program options, all of them are in ivy ivy league schools, each with a different timeline and opportunity for an internship. 

The first program is 1.5 years long, allowing me to pursue an internship in the summer of 2023. 

The second program is 1 year long, and I would be able to pursue an internship in the following summer, but I would need to return to my home country to find an internship due to OPT issues. 

The third program is also 1 year long, but I may not have the chance to find an internship before graduation in May 2024.

The cost of them are 1>2>3.

Considering the different timelines and opportunities for internships, I would like to know how important it is to complete an internship before graduation in the architecture industry. I would also appreciate any advice on which program option would be best for gaining internship experience and how I can make the most of my studies to enhance my future career prospects.

Thank you for your advice and insights!

Apr 6, 23 11:32 am

First thought - if you're going to have a BArch then why are attending a masters program? 

Apr 6, 23 11:57 am  · 
 · 
ogwant

I'm pursuing a master degree with a focus on computational design. While my BArch degree provided me with a strong foundation in architecture, I'm interested in developing more advanced skills and knowledge in using digital tools and algorithms to create complex and innovative designs. I hope such program will provide me with the specialized knowledge and skills I need to apply computational design to address contemporary challenges in architecture design.

Apr 7, 23 6:08 am  · 
 · 

Sounds like an interesting focus!  I'm sure you're aware but an M.Arch it's not needed for you to become an architect though. A B.Arch already dose that. 

I terms of gaining intern experience - where you go to school isn't going to help you with that. This is assuming your M.Arch program doesn't have a student internship as part of your curriculum. Most student internships are gained by applying to firms on your own using your portfolio and letters of recommendation from your professors. Based on your talent and abelites you'll be doing everything from binding project documents to assisting in design.

Good luck!

Apr 7, 23 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Read: '...starting a Master of Science in Architecture program...'

Apr 7, 23 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

I read it. I also read that the OP already has a B.Arch - an accredited degree.  

Apr 10, 23 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Appleseed

(hence why they're pursuing an MS Arch, not the M.Arch you repeatedly referred to)

Apr 10, 23 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

Good point. Both are still masters degrees and not needed to become an architect in the OP's situation though. Hence my original question (why) was still relent.

Apr 10, 23 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Do you plan to work in the US after graduation?

Apr 7, 23 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
ogwant

Yes, I'm considering to work here at least for 2 years, but not sure if I could find a job after grad. I think I'm too nervious about finding a job, cause my friends are all complain about how hard to find a job.

Apr 9, 23 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
CrazyHouseCat

You are too nervous about finding a job right now, which you are not.  your interest in computational design (your graduate program will likely also add data science to it), will make you a highly desired candidate by the time you graduate.  

How important is the internship... it depends on the internship.  If it's a traditional architectural office, I'd say it's not all that important.  

The internship should boost and compliment your unique skill / interest combo, give you something you won't learn in school, that bridges to other possible ways to add value to architectural practice. It might be something related to using computation for prefabrication or engineering (complex structure or facade engineering).  Or a more CS focus internship to give you real projects in your portfolio (program development, data science...).  

As to US vs. your home country, not knowing where you are from, I can only say: architectural practice is very conservative and risk-averse in the united states (for good reasons, but restrictive none the less).  If your ambition is to push the envelope with latest tech, science, etc., it's very unlikely you'll experience the cutting edge in an internship in US.  

Good luck!

Apr 10, 23 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

I dunno - it seems like an internship at a traditional architectural office would provide nearly everything in your third paragraph. That's what we do with our student interns.

Apr 10, 23 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: