Archinect
anchor

Protocol when leaving an office...

n8than

Hi everyone, I'm leaving one residential firm for another and I'm curious about the best way to go about letting contacts I made, mostly general contractors and builders, know about my leaving and letting them know where I'm going. Is it better practice to let them know while I'm still at my current job, or should I just shoot them an email in a week with my new company email signature and update them then?

Also, the current principal doesn't want me to let any clients know about me leaving. Is that normal? I've gotten close with a few clients whose houses are currently under construction, and I feel weird about just disappearing.

Thoughts?

Mar 3, 23 10:50 am
proto

It’s unsurprising the boss wants you not to talk to clients, but unless you have an NDA, your comms aren’t really up to that boss.

Without burning bridges, just remember you are the sole proprietor for YOUR business. Be diplomatic, but don’t concede your best interests.

You can always talk to people “off the record” acknowledging your boss’s request frankly to them and just express an interest in maintaining a connection that doesn’t interfere with the former professional one.

Certainly there should be zero conflict in regard to GC’s, subs, and product reps

Mar 3, 23 11:04 am  · 
5  · 
luvu

To the OP :  This is bad for the OP and the office / what is the reason for not being upfront with the client? And if you told the client " off the record " , do you think the client will keep this info to themselves and not raise the issue to your office. If i were you I'd ask the office to do the right thing , if they refused I'd not hesitate to tell the client myself.

Mar 4, 23 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
newguy

Give the boss enough time to iron out the replacement for your responsibilities, then after that window passes (say, a week before your final day), professionally inform contacts that you will no longer be at the company starting date xyz, and inform them who they should direct their questions/requests to (if you're boss hasn't named your replacement, then congrats, it's him/her who will be taking over your role).  Treat it like a project hand-off, which it is, and if they ask you follow up personal questions, you can tell them if you'd like without badmouthing your current job.

Mar 3, 23 1:04 pm  · 
2  · 
Zclpppp

Go for it. And try to take the clients with you, of course your boss do not want the clients know about your leaving, but so what? 

Mar 3, 23 1:39 pm  · 
1  ·  2

No need to be a prick . If the op's current clients like his / her services enough they will follow them to the new firm.

Your reputation is worth way more than a couple of projects.  

Mar 4, 23 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
kjpn

Not that you want to, but for discussion's sake one could be legally in trouble if you actively, on-the-record, solicit clients of your former employer for their business after leaving. Look up 'trade secrets' laws. 

Mar 3, 23 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

Depends on the state. Typically this type of 'trade secrets' law isn't applicable UNLESS you take some new process or tech that no one else has and could only be developed while at your current firm with you. This is incredibly hard to prove.

Mar 4, 23 12:26 pm  · 
1  · 
Zclpppp

Ok, well, if there is an legal issue then do not do anything illegal.

Mar 3, 23 7:48 pm  · 
1  · 
chigurh

I would let clients and consultants/builders/subcontractors know informally via text/chat/email that you are leaving the office. Your perception of leaving is that there is going to be a great void to be filled, but it is like removing your hand from a bucket of water - the hole that is remaining is how much you will be missed.  All of the contacts you have made are a direct result of your employment and they know their most important relationship is with your boss.  A few might wish you well or want to stay in touch, but for the most part, those ties will remain with your current employer.  There is far too much at stake to align otherwise. 

Mar 4, 23 10:50 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

"Your perception of leaving is that there will be 

a great void to be filled,

but it is like removing your hand from a bucket of water 

the hole that is remaining is how much you will be missed."

Damn this is some deep shit right here.

Mar 4, 23 2:44 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: