Archinect
anchor

California Pay Transparency

graphemic

Hi folks, I'm sure most of you are aware of the new transparency law that requires job posts to include the expected salary. Lots of great discussion of that elsewhere.

SB 1162 in California also gives workers the right to request from their employer the salary range for their current position. Would anyone here use this tool, and what for? Any concerns about what would happen if you did? Very curious to hear everyone's thoughts about the impact on their own situation.

Law language is here (Section 2.c.2): https://leginfo.legislature.ca...

Feb 17, 23 1:54 pm
ivanmillya

I like the principle of the bill, but I'm curious as to why they arbitrarily chose 15 as the number for requiring salary range in job listings. It seems to me that the burden would be no higher if the number of current employees was 2, or if it was 100.

On that note, as far as requesting the salary range for an employee's current position, that's all well and good up until the employer decides to terminate you a few months later for "unrelated performance issues".

Feb 17, 23 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

it's not about the burden at that # - it's about there being enough of a group to establish a true 'average' for the position.

Feb 20, 23 5:21 pm  · 
1  · 
graphemic

Agreed, Gregory. What's funny is that there's no limit on the salary range request. Someone could ask even if they have one other coworker.

Feb 21, 23 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
graphemic

Jovan, yes fear of retaliation is likely at the forefront of workers' minds, especially in architecture offices . If only we could somehow work together to protect someone from being singled out...

Feb 21, 23 3:31 pm  · 
1  · 

I know SOM just went ahead and put out the ranges out for all their positions, to the whole firm. I'm sure there's been more than one person asking to have a discussion about their salary, their position, experience, etc. 

Feb 20, 23 5:23 pm  · 
1  · 
graphemic

This is super interesting! Did you hear from a friend? I'd love to hear from someone from SOM, even anonymously.

Feb 21, 23 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

someone who works there, yes.

Feb 21, 23 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: