Archinect
anchor

Advice to get into the job market

abdelrahmanaly

Hello, the condensed version of all below, I need advice on where to start building a portfolio and adjusting my resume. 

I am trying to break into the job market at age 30 after pretty much continuously being in Academia. I moved to Australia to be with my wife, and I feel the urge and need to go into design and build myself up back to where I can continue in practice bridging Environmentalism (my passion) and Design. And eventually re-apply for a PhD in a topic I am passionate about if I want to return to academia.  

Accreditation for my certificate here is extremely expensive and unlikely to be accepted out the gate, and thus I am trying to take the competence route. 

I am very lost on where to start building a portfolio as I had never worked in practice before. And my trainee-ships as a student were back in Egypt in early 2010s where documentation was very lacking. 

I feel as though I have nothing to offer as a designer, and not enough to offer as a sustainable consultant. While my passion is bridge both. 

I know it is not easy and I am cold calling and expressing interest wherever I can but without a portfolio for a design firm, it is moot. 

A (not so-)brief run down of my experience: 

I graduated 2013 from Egypt with a BSc in Architectural Engineering and Environmental Design with pretty mediocre grades however I was lucky I got accepted due to my research inclination and a successful project to a Masters program in the UK. My graduation project was of 2 parts, an urban study and zoning and then a design phase (the latter was not good imo).

Went on to do a MSc in Sustainable Architecture and graduated with a distinction in 2015 where I got to design a project and its environmental analysis in a real life scenario. 

I moved on to do a PhD after that in Behavioural Impact of User behaviour in energy consumption, however as life would have it. I withdrew during COVID having to leave the UK and running out of personal funds. During the PhD however I learned and conducted building performance analysis and did some statistical analysis and published a couple of conference papers. 

I also worked on a KTP Project in the UK for 2 years developing a mobile sheltering solution for a speciaist coatings company, however due to the nature of it I am limited in what I can display/show. But that project gave me valuable knowledge in project management and RnD. 

As a student I was very adept in CAD, Revit and 3D modelling, being out of practice I am undertaking some online training to bring myself up to speed in Revit, 3Ds Max (realistic rendering), some of the commonly used softwares domesticly, and other essential presentational skills. 

I am taking this year as a personal development "catch up" year, however as soon as I get my portfolio ready I will be casting more nets in design rather than just sustainability. 

Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you for taking the time if you've reached this far. 

Feb 10, 23 12:24 pm
CrazyHouseCat

Architecture firms are among the most bureaucratic, risk-averse organizations.  Breaking into them with the unique conditions you described will be difficult indeed.  Which begs the question:  what makes you believe a design firm is the only way?

your passion is in bridging design and sustainability?  What exactly does that mean in practice?  You don't actually want to design buildings, but want to influence the building design so that it'll be sustainable?  If that is what you mean.  You might have a better chance of accomplishing this by jumping over the design firm and getting directly to the building owner?  What if you could create tools that many design firms could utilize to design sustainably?  Perhaps there are even more, better ways to achieve your goal, even expand your goal than forcing yourself to come up with a portfolio? 

Best of luck!

Feb 15, 23 4:59 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

Crazyhouscat is right - a traditional "design" firm may not be the only choice you have. Larger architecture and engineering firms also hire candidates that have specialization in sustainability, construction technology etc, so that may be a great venue for your educational qualifications...

Feb 15, 23 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
kjpn

I just don’t see it making sense for someone with your qualifications and backgrounds to start a career at the bottom in an arch office especially if you’re not 1000% committed to that path. I would look at academia or roles with businesses and institutions that need your expertise. 

Feb 16, 23 10:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: