Archinect
anchor

Wall Assembly with continuous insulation

HI all,

I have a question about of what wall assembly I can use to a building without side setbacks with a building adjacent on the property line. we can't get to a consensus if the building can be on the property line or not. it's a steel frame building. How's the connection with the front wall with insulation on the outside? 

Jan 20, 23 1:18 pm
Non Sequitur

What solutions have you come up with so far or did you just immediately jump to the internets to save the day?  This is not a simple detail and there is literally no possible way anyone can answer without a shit-ton more context.  Stop being so lazy and do the leg work yourself instead of relying on internet forums for your homework.  (hint... someone else with an identical question posted in the forums last week.  Dig it out if you want a bread crumb trail).

Jan 20, 23 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You need to read the jurisdictions regulations as well as the building code. It's all written out. 

Jan 22, 23 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'm designing a major renovation to a home in a nearby city, including adding continuous exterior insulation and new cladding. The city is infamously strict and complicated when it comes to permitting, but their zoning ordinance is not clear on what setbacks are measured to, just "the wall." The head of the permitting department told me that they have allowed exterior insulation to project into the setback on renovations but that they did not have guidance for how much insulation is too much. I usually do super-insulated homes, with as much as 12" of exterior insulation, but in this case I'm only using enough to meet the 2021 IECC.

For a new building I'm sure they would require all wall elements to be clear of the setback line. Different municipalities have different approaches for roof overhangs; some allow them to project into the setback while others don't. 

Jan 22, 23 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: