Archinect
anchor

Specializing in Environmental Graphics

numberonerenzopianofan

Curious if anyone here works in or specializes in environmental graphics/wayfinding/signage. I'm a student at the end of a dual degree in industrial design and visual communications who has always wanted to pursue a career in architecture. Over the last year I have become more interested in environmental graphic design as it seems like a good blend of spatial thinking and visual design. Furthermore, this career path would allow me to work adjacent to architecture without the money and years of training to become registered.

I am debating whether to: 1) pursue my M.Arch upon graduation or 2) pursue employment at an EGD office and specialize in this discipline

What are the pros and cons of a career in environmental graphics as opposed to a traditional architecture path? 

Jan 20, 23 12:57 pm
betonbrut

I know Gensler has an internal environmental graphics studio or studios. NBBJ used to and may still have something, likely embedded in their interiors department. I think it is a worthwhile area to focus on, but understand it is a niche aspect of the built environment.

Jan 20, 23 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

A very important niche that can contribute mightily to how people experience that built environment.

Jan 20, 23 1:23 pm  · 
2  · 
natematt

A lot of large firms have studios or groups specializing in this.

Jan 20, 23 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
numberonerenzopianofan

Thanks for the reply, it does seem like most of the work in EGD is commercial/cultural/education so it would make sense that larger firms have EGD teams.

Jan 22, 23 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
pandahut

I know plenty of people who went to school for Graphic Design or Architecture and have worked in EGD. I always thought masters was super helpful but do not have the where withal to make a judgement for EGD. Plenty of great firms out there looking for good EGD within architecture. Snohetta, NBBJ, Multi.Studio, 2x4, BruceMauDesign, Media-Objectives, Gensler, etc. 

There is always a huge crossover because of the ID background, especially if you have a good eye for composition, visualization skills and of course a good eye for detail. I would just start reaching out to firms you really enjoy the work of and see what they have to say about preferred background. 

Jan 20, 23 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

+1 for what pandahut said. We compete with the firms listed above and have an EGD group, who incorporate into a lot of our projects. They do great work. Most come from an architecture-adjacent background, but not specifically architecture. Getting an M.Arch for those positions seems unnecessary; knowing good graphic design and industrial design is probably much more relevant.

Jan 20, 23 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
numberonerenzopianofan

Thanks for the replies. It seems like a wave of EGD offices came up in the 90s and early 2000’s and there hasn’t been many new studios since then. Perhaps it speaks to the extreme niche of the field or that traditional “environmental graphics” are on the way out.

Jan 22, 23 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: