Archinect
anchor

Postdigital architects

Lovearchitect

Who are the architects I’d look into for postdigital architecture?

Perry Kulper, Andrew Kovacs, Ryota Matsumoto, Neyran Turan, and LADG, Young Ayala come to mind.

Whe else?

Jan 19, 23 12:33 pm
JonathanLivingston

Define post-digital.  Like people who have given up on Revit?

Jan 19, 23 1:05 pm  · 
2  · 
ill_will

people who have given up on physical buildings possibly? maybe more academic

Jan 19, 23 1:11 pm  · 
1  · 
Janosh

All the OP's examples seem better described as Pre-Digital.

Jan 19, 23 11:00 pm  · 
2  · 
msparchitect

What could possibly be post-digital? Apocalyptic? Or some twisted form of indigenous building techniques that in reality are pre-digital? 

Sounds very academic. 

Jan 19, 23 1:26 pm  · 
2  · 
Koww

i'd be interested in postdigital contractors

Jan 19, 23 10:45 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

What sort of professional liability is there the practice of post-digital architecture?  What about post-post digital?

Jan 19, 23 11:16 pm  · 
1  · 

0 liability if you can't get a client willing to pay you to draft up by hand the same scale of volume of technical drawings and specifications and have to manually produce genuine (cyanotype) blueprints or diazoprints (mannually if you don't have one of those diazocopiers). Post-digital would be the same as pre-digital as in pre-computers. You're not really post-digital if you aren't post-computers by using computing devices.

Jan 20, 23 12:36 am  · 
 · 
rogerwaters

mostly buildings and drawings that are made from digital images

Jan 19, 23 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

Wouldn't that be 'all-digital' and not 'postdigital'? ;)

Jan 20, 23 10:01 am  · 
1  · 
graphemic

I'm more familiar with Sam Jacob's use of the term, check out the different pieces/books he has out there. After a cursory google to send the link below, it seems to have settled into a representational style. How much an office extends this technique into built work seems to be more a question of their appetite for practice more than its merits.

https://metropolismag.com/proj...

Jan 19, 23 11:48 pm  · 
1  · 

What's this "post-digital" blather about? 

Jan 20, 23 12:30 am  · 
 · 
square.

this is one of those threads i'd be embarrassed to show anyone outside of architecture

Jan 20, 23 9:58 am  · 
4  · 

So basically projects that don't get built?  Maybe look to every studio project ever.  ;)

Jan 20, 23 10:02 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

or, more specifically, project that have zero intention of being built because it's impossible to tie-together fluffy shapes and good intentions while meeting local codes.

I hope were in the post-shipping container age.

Jan 20, 23 10:11 am  · 
 · 
graphemic

In good faith: Office Kersten Geers David Van Severen is well cited as belonging in this flimsy category. They build a lot, and it's quite nice stuff. Do check it out! http://officekgdvs.com/

Jan 20, 23 2:08 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Remember any time in history when people stopped using their most advanced tools to make their lives harder?

Jan 20, 23 10:49 am  · 
1  · 
t a z

This troll is the best troll.

Jan 20, 23 10:54 am  · 
 · 

We're all hoping this is a troll . . .

Jan 20, 23 11:28 am  · 
1  · 
t a z

Troll checklist:

Jan 20, 23 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
graphemic

Wow, quite a tizzy in here! I'm the first to call bullshit on grandiose claims, but there's nothing wrong with a little bit of fun. It's a group of people doing drawings in a maybe consistent way... really not any more serious than that! Much more important things to get upset about.

For example, generating theoretical projects for the sole purpose of securing a career in cultural and academic institutions... 

Jan 20, 23 2:09 pm  · 
2  · 
rogerwaters

This is the most important architectural style since deconstruction.

Notice most academics try to imitate their work.

Feb 3, 23 3:03 am  · 
 · 
architecturepinecone

Other architects to look into for postdigital architecture include Kengo Kuma, Sou Fujimoto, Ole Scheeren, Junya Ishigami, and Michael Hansmeyer.

Feb 3, 23 12:31 pm  · 
1  · 
OM..

i'll take a stab: post-digital is the wave that's using digital representation methods in way that don't align with the "correct" proprieties of the medium. Essentially putting collage, grasshopper, photometric renderings on an even playing field with linework, sketches, and screenshots. Sometimes it works, but a lot of the time it just looks try-hard and he representation gets in the way of the work. 

Some practices include:
T+E+A+M
MOS
Joseph Perry (find his renders on IG)
Paul Preissner
OMMX - kinda

Feb 9, 23 10:43 am  · 
3  · 
monosierra

I call 'em 80s synth artists, coming of age along with the '80s revival going on in other areas of mainstream culture (Stranger Things, synth music, etc). They're going to look very passé in a few years.

Theory-wise, they also follow (roughly) the dictum that representation IS architecture.

Feb 9, 23 11:41 am  · 
 · 
rogerwaters

where can I find more about postdigital architecture?

Feb 11, 23 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Library.

Feb 11, 23 2:53 pm  · 
1  ·  1
Kriv

Wikipedia is your friend

Look up postdigital architecture there

Some of people Lovearchitect mention are active in Facebook and Instagram

They are like close friends and easy to find.

Follow them and be familiar with their work

Feb 15, 23 11:10 am  · 
2  · 
h2osuperfly

AYATA*

Feb 16, 23 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
bennyc

pos tdigital as in post digital deck posts?

Mar 4, 23 6:15 am  · 
 · 
ae_0

'Post-digital' has been a term thrown around in the past decade mostly to explain a representation technique, and not an architectural 'style' or anything particularly tectonic.

It's representation that's meant to evoke analog drawings of the pre-digital architectural academic circles, - while using digital tools in doing so. I'm not sure how - if at all- it amounts to a cohesive movement. Young/Ayata - as I see being mentioned above, make pretty innovative and interesting use of the digital in their work quite overtly, so again I'm not sure why they'd fall under this.

Fala Atelier of Portugal, and Point Supreme, based in Athens I think?- come to mind.. Object-e is another Greek office that has a beautiful and unique representational style. Pier Vittorio Aureli drawings are sometimes thrown this label as well..

I think the strength of this approach is the way it tends to deal with content; they tend to emphasize the everyday, incidental aspects that populate and animate architectural spaces. It's about the representation of scenes, instances, the interior, and letting the bigger ideas or the object sink into the background, not compete with attention.

As interesting as it could be, I'm also seeing this approach became a trap for students in producing graphic design work, and not quite architectural statements. It is a fine line - and representational tools could actually take away from the creative process if stylized, or applied in absence of an actual architectural project to begin with.

Mar 5, 23 1:32 pm  · 
1  · 
____

Can some one tell me the difference between this and collage? I don't like photorealistic rendering, but I don't see anything new here at all.

I also don't see anything approaching a serious investigation of the medium as it relates to a new conception of architecture or collage as an art form.

I hate to break it to you , but Romare Bearden they ain't.

Mar 5, 23 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Yafeto

The theory has been discussed at Northwestern University from 1997 to 2003. 

Aug 1, 23 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
Butterdogarchitect

Had Kovacs for studio and Matsumoto showed up for my thesis review. They are very likable and humble academics I’ve ever encountered. Don’t see any arrogance or pretentiousness of Ivy League grad instructors I often come acoss.

Nov 3, 23 12:50 am  · 
2  · 
Yafeto

Find their beautiful work at 

Venice Biennale 2025

Look forward to the event.

Dec 26, 23 6:11 am  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: