Archinect
anchor

Can someone with a basic knowledge of Rhino proceed to learning Grasshopper?

Metivier

I have practised Rhino for 2 weeks and I know my way around the basics.

The case is that I want to follow a Grasshopper Basics seminar that's coming up shortly and I am wondering if that amount of experience is enough in order to start with Grasshopper?

Or does GH require a really thorough and in-depth knowledge of Rhino?

Jan 6, 23 7:58 pm
Non Sequitur

try it and see. 

Jan 6, 23 8:44 pm  · 
monosierra

You can start with Gh once you understand the basics of Rhino - the fundamental commands, how geometry is created and organized. Getting a grip on data structures is more important for Gh - it's all about how you organize your input parameters and data in a logical way. The components to create the final geometry usually come pre-packaged.

Jan 6, 23 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Does it matter? I’d say yes it does.

I’m not sure what you think grasshopper is going to automate for you if you don’t have a better than beginner understanding of how to use the available tools in a variety of ways.

Have some patience. Learn rhino and get good at it (not necessarily expert, but at least reliably productive…). Then, get into grasshopper. It will be so much more useful at that point.

I know everyone wants to fly, but you gotta crawl, then walk, then run, then fly…

Jan 7, 23 11:01 am  · 
 · 
gual

Some knowledge of 3d modelers will help but it doesn't need to specifically be Rhino. Even if you don't have much background there's no harm in taking an intro seminar.

Jan 7, 23 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: