Archinect
anchor

iPad Pro or Surface Pro?

OddArchitect

Well I'm finally going to get a tablet.  I'm looking for peoples recommendations on the iPad Pro or the Surface Pro.

Obviously I'll be using this for sketching and redlining things in addition to watching cat videos.  

Thoughts?  

Oct 31, 22 10:50 am
DickCheney

CM, do you mainly use mac based or windows based computers, phones, etc? That will play a big role for compatibility (sigh). My wife just got the new ipad. A lot of great features with linking up to her phone and laptop for stuff. I suspect you will be able to get the same features on both regarding software for redlining (if you use bluebeam, adobe acrobat, etc). You can also share screen onto teams if you use that, takes some finagling but it can absolutely be done. CAT vids play seamlessly on both :)

Oct 31, 22 10:59 am  · 
2  ·  1

We're all PC's at the office.

Oct 31, 22 11:50 am  · 
 · 
deltar

I have an iPad Pro 11" and I've been really impressed with Morpholio Trace and marking up pdfs on the iPad. Personally I'm an apple guy and those are the primary apps I use for archi related tasks but it's great for room scanning and getting a general reference floorplan or 3D model too.

Oct 31, 22 11:00 am  · 
2  · 

Is Morpholio Trace not available for PC's?

Oct 31, 22 11:51 am  · 
 · 
deltar

I don't believe that it is. I don't have a touchscreen laptop so I've never looked but looking now at their website it appears to be an apple exclusive.

Oct 31, 22 12:32 pm  · 
1  · 

That kind of makes the decision for me then.

Oct 31, 22 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
fritzf

Ah Frick same. I really don't want to go apple but this seems like i oughta

Dec 28, 22 12:12 am  · 
 · 
proto

surface pro seems to act more like a laptop than an ipad if that matters to you

i am sim to deltar...in apple world...big fan of morpholio trace, keyboard & pencil are essential, imo

Oct 31, 22 11:44 am  · 
1  · 

I was thinking the same thing about the Surface Pro. Regardless I'd get a keyboard and a good stylus.

Oct 31, 22 11:52 am  · 
 · 
proto

i will call out that morpholio trace is a different mindset than bluebeam...it does markups no problem, but thru a different workflow for sho. If primary use is markups vs sketching, def use bluebeam (also on ipad)...if primary use is sketching, i think you'll like trace

Oct 31, 22 2:41 pm  · 
1  · 

Thanks! I want to do both. It looks like I'll be getting an iPad.

Oct 31, 22 3:01 pm  · 
2  · 

i have used both. Currently I use a Surface Studio and Ipad Pro.

On the last version of the surface i did some sketching but didn't like the way it sat as much as the ipad and usually worked with the latter as as result. Also didnt like the surface pen compared to apple pen.

Recently got the surface Studio and quite like it. Especially like the monitor when i flip the screen to draw on it - almost like an old drafting table, but so easy to flip back to laptop mode. So I use it a lot more than I expected I would - for redlining, sketching in miro, etc. Which means I use ipad less than i used to.

The IPAD pro is still what I use to sketch with students, and sometimes for myself. Many of the students have ipad for school work now and make use of procreate before shifting to a laptop and cad. That is pretty cool as it allows me to make a new layer and draw on top of their work like i used to do with trace in the analog days. Pretty smooth process. Sharing remains the main annoyance for all of the above, but it looks like software is shifting that way slowly but surely.

FWIW, my preference for professional work is the surface studio. I also really like the new surface pen. Shaped like a carpenters pencil, it doesn't get in the way or fall off like the ipad pencil does, and it feels more tactile to boot....

Oct 31, 22 4:16 pm  · 
1  · 

Will the Surface Studio's screen flip to be flat so it can function more like an open sketchbook? 

Nov 1, 22 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

no. Its a 45 degree angle. I thought it would suck but prefer it over the detachable version now that I have been using it...basically its a laptop that works like an architect's ipad whenever I need it. Its also heavy to carry around compared to the surface Pro and the ipad. I still prefer it for professional work.

Nov 1, 22 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

actually sorry i lied, it does go flat as well. It is only that it is easier to use at 45 degrees in practice (in my opinion), so i never use the flat configuration.

Nov 2, 22 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

Stop lying!  ;)  Thanks for the info!

Nov 2, 22 1:17 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

like this?

image from MS's website

Nov 1, 22 1:31 pm  · 
1  · 

Exactly. Not sure if the Surface Pro Studio can do that. The Surface Pro Laptop can.

Nov 1, 22 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

I have not used Surface Pro yet, but I used iPad Pro for Site punch walk, Bluebeam, and other Autodesk products such as glue, Naviswork, etc.  I think it handles those apps really well.  I am a PC user and my firm uses PCs but I can work seamlessly with those apps.  I didn't have much issues creating markups. Since I don't do design works anymore, i can't speak to its sketching capabilities, but i bet it's pretty decent with programs folks mentioned here.  

Another software I was impressed with was Adobe Lightroom CC.  I edit and process 61MP RAW images and save them on the cloud or post on Flickr. To me, it seemed more convenient than using a laptop.  It pulled me into photography again as I enjoyed the workflow. 

However, I'd love to try Surface Pro can do the same.  I may need a 2 in 1 laptop in future, so I may consider a Surface Pro Laptop. I use MS Excel, PP, and Projects a lot..

Nov 4, 22 3:44 pm  · 
1  · 
JonathanLivingston

I use a ThinkPad Carbon Yoga.  It has a touch screen and stylus. I only really use the stylus in bluebeam but I like it, I can run CAD and Revit natively on it.  A bit more pricey but worth it in my opinion epspecially if you are not a MAC person.  My experince with morpholio trace is limited though.  

Dec 28, 22 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: