Archinect
anchor

Paid in architecture

Marco Marco

Just have a question 

Does architecture firm considered related experience when they pay employee?

I’ve working in architecture where they originally use AutoCAD. They hire me to tried the Revit, and I have criticized that Revit suck but they keep operating with it and trying to find person who good at Revit to work. I have 4 years experience in architecture and completed AXP and 2 years in interior design and 2 years in construction.

The job posted with title of project manager but they told me that I’m an intern. I supposed to call myself an intern? Is that even sound right when you completed internship? So I got paid very low and produce a lot of works to the company base on my calculations they could earn like $800,000 in revenue for several projects. They can even afforded to buy they own building.

I do all codes related work, all drafting, and designed the building alone. I feel like they took advantage of employee. Do you how much BIM consultant cost?

Sep 13, 22 1:25 am
Non Sequitur

sounds like you’re bad at negotiating compensation or perhaps your experience is not as good as you think it is. Also, revit does not suck. Junior/interns who don’t know shit thinks it sucks. Experienced folks know it’s uses and limits. 

Sep 13, 22 6:22 am  · 
2  · 
newbie.Phronesis

Agreed, but to be fair - Revit could be much better for architects. (that open letter in 2020: https://archinect.com/news/article/150209385/autodesk-responds-to-revit-criticism)

Sep 13, 22 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Kind of need more context. Region/market, business size, your work authorization status if any, would be helpful.

Sep 13, 22 9:00 am  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

Lots of people use the term "intern" to describe those who have not yet completed the exam.  A firm may hire and utilize you in the role of project manager, (and people commonly do when a staffer is 5+ years experienced, but not licensed), but they will always classify you as an "intern" until you get licensed. 

I have observed that many employers will use a lack of a license to justify paying a lower salary, regardless of a candidate's skills or years of experience.  It is also used as a reason to deny raises and promotions.

Sep 13, 22 9:19 am  · 
 · 

Marco Marco wrote

"They hire me to tried the Revit, and I have criticized that Revit suck but they keep operating with it and trying to find person who good at Revit to work."

I think that's your issue.  

1. The firm hired you to do Revit work.  

2. You aren't  experienced with Revit and tell the firm that Revit sucks.  

3. The firm isn't happy with what you can do.

4. The firm is still trying to find someone who can use Revit.  

I think you have to learn Revit if you want to make more money at your current firm.  

Sep 13, 22 11:19 am  · 
7  · 
bennyc

You get paid what you sound like, and you sound like an inexperienced intern

Sep 13, 22 8:44 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

You mention the AXP, so I assume you are in the US. Without knowing anything else about your experience or abilities, I wouldn't place you any higher than an intermediate drafter without a MUCH better command of written English.

Sep 13, 22 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
Miyadaiku

"I do all codes related work"......bold statement in this context.

Sep 14, 22 2:09 am  · 
1  ·  1
Miyadaiku

architecture firm consider the experience not but only. it must also output in efficient. firm pay in architecture.

Revit be tools for a good. It can't AutoCAD and pays more because firm is needing a BIM.

All your base are belong to us.

Sep 14, 22 2:26 am  · 
2  · 
natematt

Experience without equivalent development and skills can be perceived as a negative. You can price yourself right out of a job, or it can just be a red-flag and mark you as a potential liability.

Some things align very specifically with level's of experience too. For example, If you don't at least have 10 years experience, don't be talking down industry standard software.... You are going to be expected to be at least reasonably proficient or able/willing to learn it. 

Sep 14, 22 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: