Archinect
anchor

A degree in architecture, now what?

Dais_C

Hi there, 

I'm currently studying architecture in the UK, and I'm going into my 3rd and final year to complete an undergrad degree. Unfortunately, my love for becoming a future architect has declined, and I know this isn't something I would want to pursue as a career. However, I really enjoy the design work I do for the course, and would love to carry that through in a job once I've finished. My question is, what sort of architectural design jobs are out there, or any other design career paths that I could go to with my degree, and what would be the best advice you guys can give me, for someone who's feeling quite anxious about the future and what pathways there are available for me to take?

Thank you to all who can help :) 

Aug 31, 22 5:06 pm

Ask your professors.  

Aug 31, 22 6:38 pm  · 
2  · 
chris-chitect

Don't ask the professors ;) I've never met a group of people so disconnected from reality, at least where I attended school.

Sep 5, 22 3:37 pm  · 

You must of gone to a really bad school then chris. All of my professors where architects in their 60's with decades of real world experience.

Sep 8, 22 11:17 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

architecture in the UK as a graduate? Good luck with your house share.

Aug 31, 22 6:45 pm  · 
chris-chitect

If I were in the UK I'd enroll in a trade school to learn to install air conditioning. I'm partly joking but they probably have far better prospects for the near future.

Just before I came across this post I was thinking about how I started architecture school 16 years ago this week. People might be annoyed on this forum that once again we have another "what can I do with my degree?" post, but it's so incredibly important to be discussing this. A lot of people studying architecture should not be studying architecture. 

While I'm not close to too many people from architecture school anymore, if LinkedIn is any indication, I'd say probably half have moved onto other paths a decade out of school. Many work for developers, property managers, municipal and federal government and so on. 

I switched over to construction management not long after finishing my degree. I actually should change my user name by now, but I still find architecture an interesting, but not a satisfying career. 

If design is what you're really looking for, it's not going to pay well in your first few years. I do freelance on the side which doesn't conflict at all with my 9-5 job and I can say yes and no to the work I want. 

Sep 5, 22 3:37 pm  · 
2  · 
Dais_C

Thank you to all those who have replied. 

I know this is an infuriating question to some - A classic lost student who realised too late that architecture isn’t the one for them - but I can’t change the choices I’ve made in the past. I appreciate the advice you all have given me. I will talk to my professors once university starts again in October, and I will do some research into alternative career paths. 

Reading about the choices others have made has helped a lot, and I think it’s this insight which will help me most. I’m just trying to see what choices there are available to me, and again, I thank all who can help :) 

Sep 8, 22 11:14 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

I'm sure I've seen at least a couple of threads on here-- maybe even an Archinect blog post-- highlighting alternative-yet-somehow-related career paths. Some were established positions, others entrepreneurial experiments that paid off. Try a forum search.

Sep 12, 22 1:27 am  · 
1  · 
OneLostArchitect

ramen noodles

Sep 9, 22 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Some of my classmates ended up in software development. Many of the skills are similar, and it seems like an easier industry in many ways if that kind of thing floats your boat. One classmate is now a neurosurgeon.

After earning a degree that was essentially architectural engineering, I worked as a carpenter and residential project manager for 10+ years, then was operations manager for a panelized construction start-up. I also write about architecture-related topics. 

The suggestion above for HVAC-related fields is actually worth considering. It's a growth industry with a lot of room for smart, creative people who can think critically. 

Sep 12, 22 11:26 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: