Archinect
anchor

Do you work in Louisiana? I have some questions

N.TW

About 2 weeks ago, learned my wife is pregnant (intentional). Due date is about 7 months out.

I work in Los Angeles currently, but we don't have much support here. We are considering moving around New Orleans area where most of her family lives.

Recently learned there is no guaranteed paid family leave in Louisiana. I'm wondering what other pros and cons I can use to inform this decision. Obviously Los Angeles is more expensive overall.

I would appreciate any insight you have on working in Louisiana. A little more about myself, I am project manager at my current firm, mostly engaged in CA on high end residential projects, also some DD support on multi-family projects. Not licensed, but going through the process. I would be looking for a similar salaried position.

Jul 24, 22 4:39 pm
reallynotmyname

A lot of the residential firms in New Orleans are hiring, so I think you could find a job at this moment.  Just know that firms in Louisiana tend to be very small, like 4-8 people. Most will need you to work on all phases of multiple jobs at once rather than be a primarily CA person.  CA is also harder in Louisiana as most of the builders there work at a level several notches below California standards.

You should try to get your license before you go job hunting there.  Licenses are a big deal in New Orleans firms.  You will get more pay and respect. 

Other than LA and NYC transplants, I don't think anybody who has to work for a living finds New Orleans affordable.  Housing, insurance, and private k-12 school costs have increased at an alarming rate in recent years.

If it was me, I would maybe live in Louisiana until the kids are school age, then I would head to somewhere in Texas or Georgia where there are good tuition-free public schools and your relatives are only a short flight away.

Jul 24, 22 9:13 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

Houston is only 350 miles from New Orleans via Interstate 10.  

Both cities are ungodly humid for much of the year. The crime rate in New Orleans is especially bad. I believe it has become the 'murder capital' of the US. 

Jul 25, 22 7:37 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

No PFL in a red state? Sounds right. California sucks for many things but PFL is definitely very helpful while having babies.

Jul 25, 22 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: