Archinect
anchor

Hows the job market looking like in your city?

ArchKid

Any notice a lack of openings at Architectural firms in most of the bigger cities like past years? (Toronto, LA, NY) 

From what I seen in the past, summer time isn't really the best time for the job market in the Architecture industry. Typically April and September are peak months from what I heard and seen.

Is inflation impacting the job market? 

Jul 6, 22 10:46 pm
Non Sequitur

Dude... every.single.office I know is starving for staff... any staff. We're drowning in projects too.  Based on your last few pedestrian posts in the forum, it does not appear that you have a good handle on the job hunting tasks. 

Jul 7, 22 12:27 am  · 
4  · 
natematt

LA is red hot as far as I can tell. If you have experience, you're mint. If you're fresh out of school... first year in a few now that they are hiring interns. Every firm I know someone at is hiring... admittedly some are trying to fill back up after letting people go during the pandemic, but there are openings regardless.

Jul 7, 22 11:51 pm  · 
 · 

It's rather good here.  We only have a few firms in town but we're all looking for people with a wide rang of experience.  

Jul 7, 22 10:50 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Would they pay for relocation?

Jul 7, 22 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

The firm has paid for relocation for the last several new team members.

Jul 7, 22 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Hmm, tempting...

Jul 7, 22 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

Our office is literally full. We'd need to make you a work area. That means you'd better be good. ;) 

Seriously though, if you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll give you the contact info for one of our partners in charge of hiring.

Jul 7, 22 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Cool. If I was living in that area, I would consider applying to work at that firm considering the work they do.

Jul 7, 22 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Seems fairly normal here in Lost Angels. We've hired more people so far this year than in any of the last several years and AFAIK are still advertising for more.

Jul 7, 22 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

my city a lot of job postings are more in the 7+ years experience range. Everyone is short staffed, but very few have the capacity to take on inexperienced recent grads.

Jul 7, 22 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

To me this says one of two things: The firms aren't interesting in obtaining long term team members - OR - The firms don't have enough long term work to employ new hires for 2 years.

Jul 7, 22 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Maybe, maybe not. I know that the problem here is that we old greybeards are just too damn busy trying to get our own projects out the door to be able to adequately mentor younger staff. We all wish we could give new grads the attention they need instead of hiring people whose experience doesn't always jibe with the way we would like things done.

Jul 7, 22 5:11 pm  · 
2  · 
bowling_ball

AN, that's the case in my office. Since WFH became a thing, hiring anybody with less than 5-7 years experience is a non-starter. It's impossible to teach/mentor/supervise fresh grads over zoom and the like, and they aren't particularly interested in working from an office.

Jul 7, 22 7:29 pm  · 
2  · 

That's a good point BB. I never thought of that.

Jul 8, 22 10:57 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Dude, there are about 120 job openings in LA just on Archinect....

Jul 7, 22 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
ArchKid

Which ones are willing to sponsor though :)

Jul 7, 22 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Quite a few ...

Jul 8, 22 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

I don't know too much about the job market for new employment hires too much but I have noticed an increase in client interest therefore, I suspect there's some hiring since the pandemic and I know some percentage of them have been for experienced staff but I have seen hiring in a nearby big city from a firm I tend to get notices of positions they are hiring and seen some of that going on in the past 12 months and a position or two being entry, about 3-4 position listings in the 2-5 year experience range and some others. There could be turn over issues at the firm. I think numerous firms have been dealing with increase project demands since the covid pandemic issues and staffing up. Some might be project duration positions because of certain experience requirements for projects. Therefore, I suspect there is some of that going on. 

What I know from my business and increase in project inquiries, projects, etc. 

Jul 7, 22 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
AJgold

F.I.R.E

Jul 19, 22 1:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: