Archinect
anchor

Laptop specifications and recommendations international student going for architecture in the US

maithilili

As an Indian architecture student, currently I've a basic machine which has become old with specifications as below:

8 GB RAM 2 GB Graphic Card and a 225 gb ssd I've to buy a new machine anyway so what particular machines should i look at? Can anyone recommend?

P.S. I'm going for master's of architecture program

Jun 28, 22 4:14 am
sumedhgangurde

Look for a laptop that has 8gb ram minimum with ryzen 5 and upward processor or the latest intel processor. But i heard ryzen is better than intel. 1080ti nvidia card or any from the latest nvidia range that would fit better in your range. Also make sure the memory is more than 500gb. 1tb is recommend. Also it's recommended to buy laptop from us because the voltage is different as i have heard. do make sure the screen is an ips panel screen so you get true colors 

Jun 28, 22 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

8gb RAM? 1080Nvidia? What is this, 2014?

Jun 28, 22 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
sumedhgangurde

Nah mate. Not everyone is born with silver spoon like you. Also read the word "minimum " above. Laptop with this much specs in India (where op is from)
would blow a hole in the pocket.

Jun 28, 22 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

But they're studying in the US, for a masters no less. I'm thinking you're presuming they can't afford it based on the fact that they're from India.

Jun 28, 22 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
maithilili

Hi sumedh, the specifications I've mentioned are of my current laptop. I am looking to upgrade my system.

Although, I am clear about my own set of specifications which are:

min. 16 GB RAM
6 GB Grapgic memory (NVIDIA RTX 3060)
i7 or ryzen 7 or ryzen 9

I'd be glad if you could suggest me brands and laptops that are available in the US rather than India

Jun 29, 22 12:37 am  · 
 · 
maithilili

Also, how is Asus as a laptop brand in the US?

Jun 29, 22 12:42 am  · 
 · 
sumedhgangurde

ASUS tuf or rog. Lenovo legion. Msi. Hp's new lineup. Put dell(non alienware) series last on list. Check the prices on best buy or walmart or other electronics appliances store online. On arrival to us,
visit the nearest store and buy it. If you get good deals on top end variants with higher specs in Lenovo or msi over tuf then get that

Jun 29, 22 2:15 am  · 
 · 
sumedhgangurde

Search in gaming laptop section on the website

Jun 29, 22 2:16 am  · 
 · 
maithilili

Thanks... I sorta don't want to buy gaming laptop but definitely will keep an open mind while searching!

Jun 29, 22 8:52 am  · 
 · 
sumedhgangurde

Normal laptops have intel graphic card. Only in gaming you get nvidia. If not gaming only mac has the capability to run hardcore graphic software's.

Jun 29, 22 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Mac hardcore graphics? fuck dawg, you're out to lunch here. Plenty of non-gaming rigs out there with top GPUs. It's not hard to do research.

Jun 29, 22 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

It's simple here. Look for laptops, made in the last couple years or so, that has a GPU with its own dedicated memory for video (not sharing main system memory). They would be nVidia or the AMD video gpu technology base. Laptops with Intel gpu is basically like the desktops with the Intel integrated GPU.... they suck and don't provide much in the world of actually providing hardware rendering and therefore, rendering would be mostly software rendering and that method of rendering draws on the CPU a lot more.

Most laptops marketed for gaming has decent video graphic hardware. There are some laptop models not marketed so much for gaming with GPUs but thats marketing but hardware wise is essentially a gaming laptop. 

Jun 29, 22 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
maithilili

Yes that's exactly. I am looking at Asus proart studiobook 16 or something has all the tech specs i need.

Jun 29, 22 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
maithilili

I mean if you could tell me about such machines I'd be glad!

Jun 29, 22 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
ayohankiyan

Yes that's exactly. I am looking at Asus proart studiobook 16 or something has all the tech specs i need.

Oct 26, 22 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: