Archinect
anchor

BIM capable

arhiarhi design group

I was just interested in seeing how many of u work in BIM or at least are going to in the foreseeable future. I just had a round of interesting interviews and one candidate told me he isnt interested in learning BIM. He is an older MEP engineer therefore either I hire him and get an intern to model his DWG for me. Or should I pass on him and find a BIM capable candidate?

Jun 18, 22 5:10 pm
reallynotmyname

Are you in the USA or somewhere else?  A lot of professional engineers we work with in the USA can't or won't draft and rely on support staff for inputting everything into CAD and/or BIM.

Jun 18, 22 8:01 pm  · 
1  · 
newbie.Phronesis

^And most use AutoCAD only, unfortunately :/

Jun 18, 22 11:30 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

Exactly, that's why I think the op may have a hard time hiring an employee licensed engineer in the US that knows how to use BIM.

Jun 18, 22 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
arhiarhi design group

Partly from USA. But I have people on remote. That gives me a bigger recruiting pool. The problem with adding an intern is I get two heads that can fight and the project output will suffer.

Jun 19, 22 1:14 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Although it is predominant where I practice, I would not recommend the engineer + drafter workflow to anyone. It causes lots of production delays and documentation errors.

Jun 19, 22 10:20 am  · 
 · 

All of our engineers (except Civil) use BIM - Revit specifically.

Our firm is 100% Revit.  We know how to use AutoCAD but don't produce any drawings with it. 

Jun 20, 22 10:11 am  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

BIM has a very steep learning curve and it’s hard to find people with extensive project experience who can do production in it. And even if you do find that magical unicorn, they will very likely still need BIM production support.

Jun 19, 22 7:35 am  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

At our firm, we're making the transition to fully BIM (slowly but surely). At the moment, all of my projects are in Revit, and the newer ones that my colleagues have picked up are in Revit. Our structural engineer also uses Revit, but our MEP engineer is still using CAD (along with our Landscape Architect and Civil).

I don't mind it, as often times, I'm still coordinating efforts by hand anyway (via printing and physical redlining), but I do have some hope that newer generations of engineers will move to BIM. At the moment, the only advantage we're finding is that our architectural documents are quicker to produce, and with fewer internal errors. The coordination side still leaves a lot to be desired, hence why I still do that in analogue.

Jun 20, 22 6:36 am  · 
2  · 
arhiarhi design group

Coordinate by hand? Exactly?

Jun 20, 22 8:04 am  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

By that I mean I still print their drawings, and make physical redline markups, then scan and send those to them; if they're using Revit, I make sure they have the latest architectural model; if they're using ACAD, I make sure they have the latest CAD export plans to work from.

Jun 20, 22 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We still balance both BIM and CAD, mainly because we're (ie. me) too busy to train existing staff to work efficiently in BIM.  Our P.eng consultants vary but most structural is BIM but very little M&E is.  I typically build the structural model and send it off to our P.eng who then return it to us once they've done their magic.  It saves me a shit-ton of coordination hours because I've set slab edges and beam heights and whatever that suits the design.

Jun 20, 22 8:14 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

We switched to Revit about 10 years ago.  

Jun 20, 22 10:39 am  · 
 · 

I switched over in 2008.

Jun 20, 22 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

We are actually very good at producing quality con docs and we are defiantly faster than we were in AutoCAD. It was a rough couple of years but thankfully the management was fully committed to a full switch. I would hate the revit/cad hybrid. So painfull whenever I need to use cad.

Jun 20, 22 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I had a demo CD of revit in 2006. I was just getting over my FormZ hangover and diddling in ArchiCad at that time.

Jun 20, 22 11:10 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I love the mental image of being defiantly faster.

Jun 20, 22 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Haha it’s defiantly with distinctively faster.

Jun 20, 22 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

We're almost entirely CAD, but there are a few instances where we're starting to receive prototype drawings in Revit & it may become too much work to convert them. Eventually I'll probably learn more Revit, at present there's really no point other than "I'll probably use it more in the future". I worry less about what i'm using to draw & more about what i'm actually drawing.

Jun 20, 22 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
arhiarhi design group

soooo....all in all.... either you have BIM capabilities for are planing soon.... there is no one planing to stick to .dwg 100%

Jun 21, 22 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

You're trying too hard.

Jun 21, 22 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

If you are hiring for a senior position, do you want someone whose career has been focused on getting good at using software or someone whose career has been focused on getting good at engineering?

Yes, there are some people out there who are good at both - you had better be willing to pay such a person the same as you would otherwise pay for both an engineer and a drafter.

Jun 21, 22 5:26 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

All my P.Eng consultants use any warm body for drafting. I only deal with the principals who’s stamp is used… who ever actually did the drawings are unknown to us in most cases but even they are pretty bad at BIM on a good day.

Jun 21, 22 6:53 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

I work for a large office. I can count on one hand the number people who i would go to for both project architect/manager level advice and revit advice. And often they haven’t

Jun 21, 22 8:47 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

And often they will just say “go ask the revit support team.

Jun 21, 22 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

And often they will just say “go ask the revit support team.

Jun 21, 22 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: