Archinect
anchor

Turn down internship offer at BIG

Archi2237

I'm thinking about turning down an offer as intern at BIG. The "salary" doesn't allow me to live in Copenhagen. I was thinking on getting a loan to do take this "great" opportunity. But is it really worth it? Does it really pushes your career up? Thanks for your answers. 

May 12, 22 3:27 pm
Non Sequitur

You're an absolute colossal idiot if you take out a LOAN in order to work at BIG.  Only fools take unpaid/low pay internships and it will only hamper your career.

Have some fucking respect for yourself and step away.  Find an office that respects its staff and offers fair compensation. 

May 12, 22 3:40 pm  · 
15  · 
square.

paying to work.. that's rich!

May 12, 22 3:51 pm  · 
12  · 
citizen

^ Literally!

May 12, 22 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

I am wondering if the OP exceeds expectations if they are going to give their employer a performance bonus.

May 14, 22 12:55 pm  · 
1  · 
gibbost

You're talking about an office that gets some of the largest commissions in the world.  They made over $90M last year.  BI himself is worth over $15M.  As stated above, please do not reinforce their shitty message that interns should need to accept slave wages just to be a part of their work.  

May 12, 22 3:54 pm  · 
8  · 
Jacq Arch

Gen z: should I take a loan out to pay myself to work?

Every other generation that came before: are you crazy?! Winter is coming

May 12, 22 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
square.

i actually find that gen z is pretty smart on these issues - this one seems like an outlier.

May 12, 22 3:58 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Sometimes I am really curious whether the new graduates know what they will be doing at an actual practicing firm. What do you think you will do during your intern period in those big name firms. Come up with the concept for the new museum? Doing amazing hand sketches of the design that will be framed? Direct licensed architects on the design and construction detailing? Truth is, During your "intern", you will probably get assigned non critical tasks. Then pick up the comments from the ego filled designers/architects and revise them over and over. You short period of internship will fly by real fast. Some interns spend whole summer doing the physical models.

May 12, 22 4:13 pm  · 
1  · 

Jay has some serious jealousy when it comes to designers. He's not wrong about what you will probably be doing as part of your initial internship though. 

Then again I do know of fresh grads who came up with concepts, did sketches that got framed, built physical models, met with clients, ect.  You've got to be talented to get to do that type of work though.  That or have all of the other people in your office not be good a those things.  

I'd think a firm like BIG would be able to pay talented staff a living wage.  Don't take an underpaid internship regardless of who it's with and what you'll be working on.  You're worth more than that.  

May 12, 22 5:26 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Jay, is a douchenozzle. Explain to me what non-critical tasks would have an intern take out a loan, to spend 60-80 hours inside a firm like BIG? You're either a fucking boomer, or just don't comprehend the level of exploitation these firms employ. Dick.

May 12, 22 6:46 pm  · 
1  ·  2

Explain to me what non critical tasks are done in a building design and documentation? I'd like to know so I can stop having them done on projects. It would save our team members a bunch of time! :P

May 12, 22 6:49 pm  · 
6  · 
Nammoadiaphat

What you know is more valuable than what you are entitled to.. BIG seems to want their interns to crank out design renders and mundane tasks.

May 12, 22 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

BIG is a weird firm. It is clearly competing with the likes of SOM and KPF for the kind of bread and butter commercial projects that can sustainthe overhead of blue chip acronym firms. Yet it continues to leverage its brand cache of a hip creative firm to underpay employees/interns.

May 12, 22 10:09 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Hi, person who works at BIG who is reading this. Pay your staff better. Be a good example of more than diagrams.

May 13, 22 11:40 am  · 
3  · 

You really think a person at BIG who has that type of decision making ability is reading this?

May 13, 22 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Patrimetric has been known to frequent the forum.

May 13, 22 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Right ... (s)he is probably researching ways to make interns even more miserable in their spare time...

May 13, 22 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I believe most firms google themselves from time to time, and Archinext is one of the better known Architecture websites, so yeah, I do think so.

May 13, 22 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Yeah, but they won't give a rat's ass - there are plenty of willing trust fund baby interns they can lay their hands on.

May 13, 22 2:30 pm  · 
2  · 
reallynotmyname

Maybe try negotiating for more money by showing them data that the wage being offered doesn't cover basic living expenses in the city.  I'd be interested in hearing how they respond to that.

Will they speak the unspoken truth that they as starchitects don't feel compelled to offer a living wage because there are plenty of rich kids willing and available to fill their intern positions?

May 13, 22 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I've done exactly this. Show them relevant salary info and see how they react.

May 14, 22 12:13 am  · 
 · 
kenchiku

How'd they react?

May 14, 22 8:51 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I got exactly what I asked for, which was the average intern salary in my jurisdiction (of available salaries anyway).

May 14, 22 2:52 pm  · 
1  · 
Le Courvoisier

Bjarke’s name on your resume is not worth paying for. 

May 13, 22 10:21 pm  · 
4  · 
Archi2237

Thanks to everyone for the comments! Even the ones that reveal deep anger management issues. I did engage in trying to get a better offer. Nevertheless, they see payment, not as salary, but a compensation for experience. I'm not sure if it might be a common practice in Denmark, I have seen some similar Job descriptions in other architecture firms in the region. Anyway. It is how it is. I agree that they are not worth of my time. There are better options out there. 

May 14, 22 10:09 am  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

Take pride in the fact that they wanted you.

May 14, 22 10:10 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

There is no anger issues in any of the above comments. Feel proud to say no to slavery.

May 14, 22 10:26 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

"payment, not as salary, but a compensation for experience" sounds like a crock of shit to me.

May 14, 22 10:58 am  · 
4  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Take pride in the fact that you told them to go punt, and you didn't fall for their shit.

May 14, 22 3:59 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

That too.

May 15, 22 9:21 am  · 
 · 

There are a couple of good things you can learn when you work for star architects: one, you come to the point of demystifying that kind of trajectory. The other is, that you learn about high-level creative marketing personnel and how much more important, than you, those people are to your boss.
Sometimes they have opposing effects on you.

May 14, 22 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: