Archinect
anchor

self-teaching drafting/rendering software(s)?

zo.m

Hi all! I'll try to keep this brief--

I'm about to enter my final semester of a BS Arch program and have been casually perusing internships/entry-level job postings here and on other job sites. Most of them seem to require some degree of proficiency in drafting softwares that I have little to no experience with, (specifically Revit and various rendering programs) and I'm wondering if anyone has tips on how to become comfortable using them? The program I'm graduating from uses Rhino pretty exclusively; I took one AutoCAD class a few years ago at a community college and I remember feeling like I had the hang of it by the end of the semester, but then again, how would someone gauge their own proficiency without extensive exposure to different proficiency levels?

On a side note, how are any Architecture programs getting away with only teaching their students Rhino?

Dec 19, 21 9:32 pm
deltar

Rendering software is easy to pick up and hard to master. You can pick up Twinmotion for free and it creates some decent renderings and has a good amount of assets for making a scene more life-like. When I was using Sketchup I really liked Podium for my renderings. Lumion is fine, I don't like the workflow but I haven't spent much time on it yet and Enscape is (imo) the easiest to get high quality renderings out. Like breadcrumbs said though, renderings are only valuable if they're additive otherwise typically I see underdeveloped drawings/details that rely on renderings to make them good.

Dec 21, 21 11:29 am  · 
 · 

It's not the job of an architectural program to teach you how to use drafting programs.  It's up to you to learn these programs.  There should be plenty of online and in person classes you can take that will teach you the programs you need. 

Dec 21, 21 2:08 pm  · 
1  · 
JAK-90825
If your coming out of school I expect you to know little to nothing on Revit. I want to see bad ass renderings and nice quality drawings and INTENT! Show that and companies are going to take you in a build you by their model anyway. If you have like 5 years experience and come in with no revit then that is going to be a hard sell if your trying to capitalize on your experience and get a salary bump. You will cost that firm more money than anticipated to get you up to speed. The more experience you have the more I expect to roll you into production with little training other than company standards.

If you want to learn try choosing one of your projects and modeling it up fully in revit and putting drawings together on sheets. Try finding a sample construction set and replicating the format with your project. You willlearn a bunch!
Dec 28, 21 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
jscottsmith

I've been seeing an increasing number of architects present work in Rhino. It's a great program for modeling - especially CNC and analysis. But I'm puzzled by the arch application.
From what I see, AutoCAD, SketchUp and probably Revit should be in your toolbox. Others depending upon your specialty.

Scott

https://jscottsmith.com

Jan 31, 22 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: