Archinect
anchor

Notebooks For Revit

I know . . .  a computer thread.  Sorry.  

I'm looking at getting a new notebook that will be able to handle Revit. Obviously I'll be dong more than just Revit work but programs like Photoshop, Sketchup, Enscape, and Formit are rather easy to accommodate.

Right now I’m looking at buying a Surface Book 3,  1 TB SS hard drive, 32 GB Ram, NVIDA GTX GeForce GPU graphics system.  

No I will not go Mac.  I'll whip you with a wet noodle for even bringing it up.  This means you NS. 

What is your opinion on the SB 3.  Dose anyone have recommendations on other 

Nov 16, 21 1:20 pm
Almosthip

Not a notebook but i have a Dell Inspiron 17 that is awesome, handles revit like a champ

Nov 16, 21 1:24 pm  · 
1  · 

Thanks! I should of said laptop. For me notebook and laptop are used interchangeably. I know, I'm old and out of touch. ;)

You don't find having only 16 GB of RAM an issue?

Nov 16, 21 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks!

Nov 16, 21 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Chad - I haven't had a single issue running Revit 2021, with Enscape plug in. And my laptop is almost 5 years old now. It a is an Inspiron 17 7773 2-in-1 and has 8th Generation Intel Core i5/i7. I have used it to connect to the network at work and run central files.

Nov 16, 21 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I have been running a Thinkpad X1 Carbon with good success. I like the touch screen and stylus combination as I can use it to freehand redlines on a pdf as well.  The only downside is the screen is on the smaller side. But I often run another monitor with it and appreciate the portability so I always have access during my commute / travels 

Nov 16, 21 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, why da fuk would I recommend a Mac?  That's totally the wrong suggestion.

With that said, I can't do laptops anymore.... custom desktop pc or nothing.

Nov 16, 21 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

This would be only for working remotely. When at the office I have a beast of a machine with a monitor that wraps around my head.

Nov 16, 21 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You use a curved monitor for revit?

Nov 16, 21 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

Yup.  A very slight curve.  The pic makes it look more curved.

38" baby!

Nov 16, 21 3:18 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

jealous thumbs up.

Nov 16, 21 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

They are really nice! I'm getting one for my wife for Christmas this year. The downside is once you use one everything else sucks.

Nov 16, 21 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Boxx

Or

BIM Box

Nov 16, 21 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Nice. Expensive but nice.

Nov 16, 21 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I bought a Re-Boxx, one of their desktop in a laptop in 2017, still rocking...

Nov 16, 21 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

Re-Boxx? Is that a refurbished unit?

Nov 17, 21 11:26 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I've been very happy with my laptop from this company that has a specialty in supplying architects and designers: https://www.xicomputer.com/. I don't use Revit but I do use some programs that require juice and it's been a good machine. (I have not been happy with any of the name-brand laptops or desktops I've had in the past, and about 2 years into using this one.) Specs change so often that I would recommend asking Xi what they recommend for your situation. 

Nov 17, 21 8:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: