Archinect
anchor

Anybody worked for a large US firm internationally?

rjhouser

Curious if any English speakers have worked for a large US firm internatinoally. I see firms like Gensler with offices all over the world but what's the chance of getting to work in one of those as an American? I know some of these firms offer exchange type programs but this doesn't seem like something that would be likely unless you have worked at the firm for a few years at least to get such a benefit. 

Oct 4, 21 2:29 pm
midlander

me, yes. I reached out to a friend of a friend working in a foreign office of an American firm, did a skype interview with the local director, and was hired 'locally' (meaning directly from the local office, not as a transfer from the US) before I had even moved. they didn't pay for moving or airfare, since I was hired as if I was already there - but the salary was a modest increase about 10% in a cheaper city, and the company took care of everything for my work visas, which is a lot of trouble.

the chances really depend entirely on the strength of the local market, and how well your experience fits their needs. there isn't some secret to it, but finding a connection who knows someone working in an office you are interested in will be the only way to make this work if you aren't already located in the target city.

i'm not aware of any kind of exchange programs, though maybe some companies do that. in the 2 american offices I worked for, people who wanted to 'transfer' to another office had to apply for the job internally - and there had to be an opening for them there. it was more about having a good rapport with the target team and office managers and skills suitable for the new office than any standard of years-served.

Oct 6, 21 11:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: