Archinect
anchor

BIM 360 Thread: Best Practices

b3tadine[sutures]

Okay!

I'm running interference on what seems to be an ad-hoc response to poor permission structures at Document Management and Design Collaboration portions of BIM 360.

I've been checking out multiple videos, webinars and the like, but of course you really can't ask questions.

So, what I'm trying to understand are two things; first, if you're live linking your teams, is there a need for "packages"? Second, what is the point of permissions at the Design Collaboration, if you establish permissions at the folder level in the Document Management part?

What is a workflow that works for you?

Aug 30, 21 11:15 pm
joseffischer

We skipped bim360 (thankfully) and are now on Autodesk Construction Cloud where they reimplimented their version of plangrid.  It's in beta and the amount of permission bugs is driving me insane.  Chalk it down to Autodesk be Autodesk.

Aug 31, 21 10:19 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Josef, I forgot, we're essentially talking about the same thing. I forgot it upgraded.

Aug 31, 21 11:09 am  · 
 · 
SlammingMiruvor

Yup, I just grant every team member project admin privileges instead of trying to troubleshoot permission bugs. Especially because over the course of a project Autodesk will change the platform/system.

Aug 31, 21 11:39 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

How can that work? We had a design consultant go into our model and save, fortunately for us they didn't do anything but go on and save the central file.

Aug 31, 21 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

yeah, our IT overlords who tell us how to run projects hate when I give out too many admins... they even hate that I have admin... their initial stance as of 1 month ago when rolling it out was that the admin assistant/construction admin (yeah, we still have those) has admin rights, and we're supposed to have that person manage the ACC and the Principal in charge (who may not even be in the same office) who brought the work in has admin rights. I tried for half a minute to remind them that the PiC won't even be opening anything or using anything from ACC and gave up. I don't know what they were really thinking about how they were going to control it either, considering at least my AA understands that her sole job is to make sure that I and the other 4 PMs she covers have no hiccups.

Anyone get to glimpse the higher tier privileges and options above project admin?  It's clear that there is at least one level above what we all have in the trenches, just as a project member without proper permissions doesn't even see that something is available.  Supposedly we have a direct line to Autodesk to flag bugs and request features.  My biggest is that the entirety of the system is visible with greyed out options for items you can't use... that way you at least know somethings supposed to be possible.  It would be extra nice if hovering over an option told you what level was needed (oh... Ask JosefFischer about that) type of thing

Aug 31, 21 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
SlammingMiruvor

I mean, those are fair questions, and I'm sure it wouldn't fly at a larger/more formal company. But the reality is I'm accepting that risk and placing a premium on not spending my time wrestling with it down the line. At all of our project kick-off meetings, etc. I tell everyone this is how we're doing it, to be adults about it, and stay out of each other's models. We also have a fairly robust schedule to publish models, and therefore have regular back-ups. 

@joeseffisher: the tier above project admin is account admin, so instead of project specific permissions, you have permissions to change the account itself. 

Sep 1, 21 7:55 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

There's a tier above Account Admin too, Executive. Apparently they can see across divisions, if you're set up this way.

Sep 1, 21 8:53 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We just started to try out 360 on a small project a few days before I left for vacation. I’ve never used it but the other team member was having a helluva good time figuring out access permissions. I guess I’ll have to figure this stuff out too eventually.

Sep 1, 21 8:54 am  · 
 · 
SlammingMiruvor

A couple things that always through me for a loop. You have to activate document management in the web browser, to be able to upload models to a project via Revit. You cannot host a .rfa or .dwg or .txt file (for key notes) on the cloud, so still need to be connected to your server. You can publish (back-up) as often as you like, but there is no way to set-up an automatic publish interval. Copy/Monitor is incredibly complex, and in my opinion limits the utility because of that. 

Sep 1, 21 10:54 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Actually, you can schedule publishing. What do you mean Copy/Monitor?

Sep 1, 21 11:34 am  · 
1  · 
SlammingMiruvor

The copy monitor tool for coordination, it may not be a BIM360 piece, but I only started using it when we started live linking models hosted on the BIM360 cloud so I associate them together. Sick tip, thank you!

Sep 1, 21 1:40 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The other thing I learned about is the desktop connector. Get that too.

Sep 1, 21 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: