Archinect
anchor

Modernist styles: Book recommendation?

robhaw

I was wondering if you have any recommendations on a book that thoroughly details the various modernist styles. 

I have been through basic readings like Frampton and Jenks and I am really looking for a morevcomprehensive anthology with emphasis on each of the styles (bauhaus, de stijl, constructivism, expressionism etc). 

I have searched online but have not yet found exactly what I am after, so any recommendations would be appreciated! 

Jul 26, 21 12:12 pm
ivanmillya

Honestly, each of these movements are best explained in their own books. For example, Constructivism as an art/architecture movement is insanely complex, covering decades from El Lissitzky and Leonidov to Zaha Hadid's thesis project. Your local architecture library might have a copy of "Style and Epoch" by Moisei Ginzburg (it's old and rare). Otherwise, "ABC: International Constructivist Architecture" by Sima Ingberman is a good reference for Constructivism.

"The Story of De Stijl" by Hans Janssen is good reference for that style. Bauhaus can be understood by getting a monograph of Behrens, Mies, or Marcel Breuer. I wasn't as interested in Expressionism when I was in school, so I don't have much to recommend there.

Jul 26, 21 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

I perfectly understand your point, although I am not as yet looking for so much depth as a dedicated book per movement. Thank you though for your recommendation on books, I will have them in mind! Since you answered my question, I was also wondering if you know of any resources that offer regular input (lectures series/symposiums/publications?) on modernist architectural history. I am so far aware of DOCOMOMO and the UK Modernist Society and I would welcome any suggestions you may have.

Jul 27, 21 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: