Archinect
anchor

Salary expectation

Whoknow

When a employer said your salary expectation is too low? sketchy? But will expected to work long hour and much fast pace environment. What do u guys think?

Jul 23, 21 5:01 pm
Non Sequitur

I usually think about beer. 

Jul 23, 21 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Well, what's your expectation?

Jul 23, 21 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

50k junior designer

Jul 23, 21 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

1 year exp

Jul 23, 21 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What country is this in? What city?

Jul 23, 21 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
hiall

weird oO

Jul 23, 21 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

hey Non, I bay area, mountain view, it's just strange that an employee says that, I never have experienced something like that, is that indicating she's a good boss? or is it pretty a typical thing?

Jul 23, 21 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
reminiscences82

50k is low for Bay area. Entry level salaries from 60k for recent college graduates with no experience because of relative living costs. For 1 year of experience, a common expectation would be 65k. Check the AIA Compensation calculator for averages in different areas. No way to judge an employer based on this question - more common way would be to talk to current/former employees, look at glassdoor etc.

Jul 25, 21 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I work in SF, have 12 years exp., and make what a recent grad makes? I did have to take a 20% paycut because of Covid a year ago.

Jul 25, 21 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

Mine is 43k for already 2 years exp

Jul 26, 21 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Whoknow

Ask for a 50k raise

Jul 26, 21 12:07 am  · 
 · 
reminiscences82

https://info.aia.org/salary/sa...

53k is the lower quartile....

Jul 26, 21 12:20 am  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

I don't know anything about the Bay area but the way I would interpret this is you asked for too little and they don't want you to be be significantly underpaid compared to similarly experienced peers.  They'd rather pay you a little more and retain their staff than have you find out you're underpaid and start job hunting again 6 months from now.  FWIW last time I changed employers they offered (and I accepted) more than I requested.

Jul 26, 21 8:33 am  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: