Archinect
anchor

Salary expectation

Whoknow

When a employer said your salary expectation is too low? sketchy? But will expected to work long hour and much fast pace environment. What do u guys think?

Jul 23, 21 5:01 pm
Non Sequitur

I usually think about beer. 

Jul 23, 21 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Well, what's your expectation?

Jul 23, 21 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

50k junior designer

Jul 23, 21 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

1 year exp

Jul 23, 21 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What country is this in? What city?

Jul 23, 21 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
hiall

weird oO

Jul 23, 21 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

hey Non, I bay area, mountain view, it's just strange that an employee says that, I never have experienced something like that, is that indicating she's a good boss? or is it pretty a typical thing?

Jul 23, 21 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
reminiscences82

50k is low for Bay area. Entry level salaries from 60k for recent college graduates with no experience because of relative living costs. For 1 year of experience, a common expectation would be 65k. Check the AIA Compensation calculator for averages in different areas. No way to judge an employer based on this question - more common way would be to talk to current/former employees, look at glassdoor etc.

Jul 25, 21 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I work in SF, have 12 years exp., and make what a recent grad makes? I did have to take a 20% paycut because of Covid a year ago.

Jul 25, 21 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

Mine is 43k for already 2 years exp

Jul 26, 21 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Whoknow

Ask for a 50k raise

Jul 26, 21 12:07 am  · 
 · 
reminiscences82

https://info.aia.org/salary/sa...

53k is the lower quartile....

Jul 26, 21 12:20 am  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

I don't know anything about the Bay area but the way I would interpret this is you asked for too little and they don't want you to be be significantly underpaid compared to similarly experienced peers.  They'd rather pay you a little more and retain their staff than have you find out you're underpaid and start job hunting again 6 months from now.  FWIW last time I changed employers they offered (and I accepted) more than I requested.

Jul 26, 21 8:33 am  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: