Archinect
anchor

Collaborative Design in architecture and games

ahmedabdelkaderibrahim

Hello Guys,

I am currently doing my master's about collaborative design in architecture using game elements and tools, and I created a multi-player game that you can build together. To see how designers can work in-game environments. So I would like to know your opinions and recommendations about that topic or what should I look for? 

Jul 19, 21 11:50 am

A really good project manager.  Seriously.  This type of collaborative design / build could become a nightmare.  Just look at what happens with BIM and using the cloud.  A really good PM is needed to manage the models and make sure people aren't blowing up others work. 

I can only imagine how chaotic it could be to have a bunch of designers just going nuts in a virtual space.  Think a combination of Fortnight and an open Minecraft server filled only with trolls.  

Jul 19, 21 11:56 am  · 
4  · 
Abie

It’s certainly a great idea. It would be nice if you could base the game off of Calvino Noir by Dan Walters. Its architectural realism is a wonderful concept to start your project.

Jul 29, 21 3:09 am  · 
1  · 
zulqarhelal

I concur with Chad Miller. A design manager could be useful. 

Aug 11, 21 1:27 am  · 
 · 
zulqarhelal

Another thing- collaborative design does not work for startchitects, so they should be banned from this game :)

Aug 11, 21 1:34 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You may want to consider looking at SCRUM techniques, as a project management tool, this seems to be a better route for the processes you're describing. It's something that I've been wanting to do on my own projects.

Aug 11, 21 7:00 am  · 
1  · 

How deep are you trying to get into the game aspects? There's a great deal out there on game therapy that translates well. And if you're really into the deeper aspects of making the game, there's a great deal on the mechanics out there.

If it's more superficial relative to arch and collaboration, aspects of games like Monument Valley and Euclidean might come in handy.

Finally, dig through the Archinect archives. If I recall one of the editors was doing some game-related stuff

Aug 11, 21 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: